We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

It is so frustrating to look at hotels and read reviews and find that so many of the traveler photos are personal photos. Hotels are awful about providing photos, it's sites like TripAdvisor that customers depend on to get a true picture.

This should be a review website - customers come here to read reviews and hope that someone actually took photos! When I say "took photos" - I mean of the hotel/lodging!

I am so tired of looking at people's wedding photos, couple photos, and kiddo photos. Customers want to see photos of the HOTEL/B&B/CONDO! This site isn't for people to put their personal photo album.

I can understand 1 pict of a wedding photo if the reviewer is showing the wedding facility, but upclose picts of the flower girl, bridesmaids, etc... is extremely annoying.

Same goes for that up close "couple photo" holding their tropical drinks.

Photos of "things to do" -- should actually show the thing they are doing! Not the happy smile of their hubby.

Customers are not here to see the world's vacation photos that lend no value to helping them make a decision.

Suggestions:

At least have a questionnaire that asks the photo uploader - "Is this a photo that really helps customers understand the quality of the lodging?" MAYBE this would slow down the multiple photos from people's vacation trips that have nothing to do with the hotel they are reviewing.

Create questionnaire and templates for reviews that ask SPECIFIC information. Reading 40 reviews to try and figure out if the bathroom is as good as the hotel website states, is very time consuming. Quantifiable data on SPECIFIC ammentities would be so much more valuable.

You could have ratings / selection options, such as:

What was the room number / name:

What size bed did you have (provide a list to choose from):

How would you rate the furnishings?:

What size was the bathroom (small, medium, large, executive)

Double sink vanity?

Seperate Shower / Tub, Tub / shower combo, Shower only (choose one):

Did the lodging have a pool?

How would you rate the pool?

Balcony?

Rate your view from the room:

etc...

THEN provide a free form text box for reviewers to add their opinions.

This review site has become so cluttered with information that is absolutely useless to customers that I constantly have to seek out other sites to gather specific information.

Thanks for listening!

1. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:05
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,164 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Tropicaldiva, if you read this older thread from the HUMTAB (Help Us Make TA Better) forum, you will see that you aren't the only one who thinks that way about the photos:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k2180857-…

I sort of agree with you on the subject of a checklist for reviewers - for a long time, I have said that TA should make a kind of uniform reminder checklist of things that someone might wish to include in a review. Let the reviewers write what they wish, but a list would remind them of information they might wish to include in the review which they might accidentally omit. Since it is not easy to change a review, this reminder list could save reviewers from some face-palming moments after they read their review on the website and realize they've overlooked something important.

3. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:05
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Hi TropicalDiva,

I agree, I love it when a Traveller actually provides photos of a Hotel Property... more so if they give specifics (ie Room XXX, or view from Room XXX). And the more detailed the photos the better, I've made a note to start taking photos of Hotel Rooms (last vacation, although sadly I haven't up-loaded them as of yet... must get on that).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... A Review check-list sounds intesting... and like a good idea.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Remember, people are volunteering to provide reviews and share pictures. Make the process too complicated, or come across as too bossy, and you lose a lot of people. Pretty soon all you are left with are the "planted" reviews.

6. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 11:34
7. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:41
8. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 08:53
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

"There was nothing inappropriate about it"

TA do not consider it appropriate for one member to presume to tell others that if they do not like TA they should go elsewhere.

10. Re: Hotel Reviews with Photos -a REVIEW site -NOT personal album

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 11:34