We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

Currently, TA's profanity filters are based on North American English. As a result, there are some words that are highly offensive in UK English (and one that's very offensive in Canadian English) that are not being detected in forum posts, reviews, and TripAdvisor Traveller Articles.

This is a list (slightly outdated) of the most offensive words in the UK. At the moment, 4, 8, and 10 are apparently not flagged by the profanity filter. Can TA please add them? (If you don't wish to read a list of offensive words, don't click on the link.)

theregister.co.uk/2000/…

There may be similarly words from NZ & Australian English that are going undetected. Perhaps TA members from there could supply a similar link?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

I would totally agree that it should be a universal list but as many have said before TA does need to highlight the offending words for the reviewer

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

yeah just what we need more blooming profanity filters, maybe if they worked on profanity filters that can understand context and the difference between various nationalities aceptance of certain words things might be a bit better.

if they are going down that line then add ROFLMAO etc to the filters.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

then again some of us dont care if there are profanties in posts or reviews. sometimes they add a bit of colour or say it exactly as it is.

damned if i am going to add a list of so called australian profanities to satisfy the pc police on this web site.

people are so 'precious' these days!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

I guess some folk just don't like the word b,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

I had a look at the link; I agree that the list may be a bit out-dated; perhaps it was written before disco balls. ;-)

L4

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

would it be possible to get words that are considered offensive in other parts of the world but not in the USA on the list too.

Fanny for a start.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

Not that I intend to get into a religious discussion on TA, but please tell me that "God" is not part of the filter.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,888 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

In theory, I like the idea. But you're suggesting that TA "outlaw" words that a US kindergarten teacher might safely use in the classroom. Many US TripAdvisor members will be surprised when they can't submit reviews using words that are appropriate in most conversations.

Is that the price to pay for TripAdvisor becoming an international website? Hmmm.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

and in australia the word 'root' can mean intercourse.

so when north americans say ' i am rooting for the team' it can raise a few eyebrows.

and yes, fanny, is the front side not the back in aus.

how would a universal filter cater to all the nuances? better to leave it with the north american filter instead of being all things to all people.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Add UK profanities to TA profanity filters

roflmFAo!