We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closing inactive threads after 12 months

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
23,945 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Closing inactive threads after 12 months

I thought this was an automatic process.

A thread on the Ireland Forum that had last been posted on in December 2010 was reactivated this morning by a self-promoter.

We've had a number of other threads recently that were over the 12 months reactivated by either self-promoters or people that are trying hard to be helpful in terms of piggybacking onto existing threads etc but the piggybackers would be better served by opening a new thread because of market dynamics.

Is this a temporary glitch in the system or has the closing of inactive threads been abandoned?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

Even the actual posters who resurrect the old threads in error have stated they found the thread in the search results and hadn't noticed the date. In many cases the link to the thread maybe the link to page three of the thread and they don't notice that page one and two even exist so they are not noticing how old it is.

TA staff - seriously - it doesn't look good when you ignore the bleeding obvious like this. At least acknowledge that you understand how much it's ticking us all off.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
39,616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

Aloha,

I rarely post on these topics, but am now--- in support and agreement with Perth. The dysfunctional search results cause us CONSTANT and repetitious issues on the Hawaii forums. Thanks to the economy, many businesses have closed, changed names, etc etc.

So a poster does a search for "Perth's Pub" on Maui, and quotes a thread from oh, 2005. We then explain that Perth retired in 2006 and the pub is now a clothing store. Then the OP comes back and says:

"But my search says it's a great pub, are you sure it's gone?"

Yes, we're sure.............because ummm, ummm............you dug up a five, six, or seven year old thread. Then the OP gets cranky with us.

Fix the damn search function, please. We've mentioned this many times and it seems no one listens. I can't think of any other default search that doesn't go by date, for very good reason.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
Level Contributor
69,558 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

Another 13 month post !

tripadvisor.ca/…40138885

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

And another 13 month one here !!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k43336…

Angie.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

>>TA's point of view is disappointing. The majority of people on this thread recommend 6 months.

I guess I am in the minority. I greatly appreciate the 12 month limit. I was very frustrated with the 6 month limit, which I believe is just too short.

>>This is from the point of view of actually using the forums and providing advice. We see what works and what doesn't, and why.

Correct. My point of view of actually using the forums and providing advice shows me that 12 months works much better than 6 months for multiple reasons, especially on some forums where travel is concentrated in a certain portion of the year.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

fti ~

Although it is true that the majority on this thread would prefer a 6 month cutoff, I can see how in Alaska a 12 month cutoff would work better. The cruise season is something like May to September, if I'm not mistaken and that season happens once a year. In cases like that "recent" advice would indeed be the year before. It's a very good point.

<<for multiple reasons>> For the purpose of the discussion on this thread, what would some of those reasons be? I would appreciate being made aware of reasons I haven't thought of as yet.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

One reason is what you mentioned. A second reason is that on the AK forum we link Top Questions to many of the threads. We find linking to THREADS (can not be changed) and not to articles (that can be constantly changed/updated by anyone) to be more helpful and productive. Already quite a few of our linked threads are "locked" thus prohibiting any more posts. At this point a couple of us "bump" the open threads at least once a year to prevent the remaining threads from being locked. I realize some like the articles for this purpose, but several of us on the AK forum don't like that.

I am sure there are other reasons too, but those two were the ones that immediately came to mind when I wrote that.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
23,945 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

A perfect example of why the threads should be closed once they hit their best-by date...

Note the 13 months between the two last posts and how the recent information is most likely totally irrelevant to the OP. Also the last poster is ranting a bit.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k431063…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

Hi all,

As I noted before, the closure date is not necessarily exactly 12 months after the last post. That said, the 13-month examples you've noted are beyond what we would expect, and I'm checking into this. Thank you for surfacing these for me.

I can appreciate the feedback about the search function. As a frequent user of the site search and, especially, the forums-only search, I understand that sorting search results by "relevance" by default is not always ideal, and I certainly agree it contributes to the resurrection of old topics. That said, in my experience sorting by date is typically at least as "not ideal," and often even less ideal, than sorting by relevance.

So I don't think the solution is as easy as changing the default sort. If the only issue with which we were concerned was the bumping of old threads, that simple solution would certainly help. That's not the only concern, though; we also want people to be able to easily find the information they're searching for.

The search tools on the site are beyond my expertise and purview, but I will pass your feedback on to our search team. It occurs to me, though, that this problem could also be approached from a different direction. If we were to never close old threads, and new posts about a topic just kept getting added on to the most "relevant" thread, the most "relevant" threads would also be more likely to be the most recently updated threads. Hypothetically, recency and relevance could, over the long term, match up so well that we wouldn't even need two search results sort options.

Thanks,

Dan

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Closing inactive threads after 12 months

tripadvisor.com/…40268932

Post 8: Feb 1, 2011