We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

I think I saw somewhere in a sidebar once a tip box called "How to write a great review" but haven't been able to find it since. At this point I've written six reviews, but none of them have received "helpful" clicks, and I'm wondering if there are tips available to make reviews more helpful? I strongly suspect that a big problem with mine is that they are much too long--I get enthusiastic and want to give a lot of information. Hints, anybody? Thanks.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Hi there

As far as i'm aware the only thing that exists are the review posting guidelines, but they are not classed as "Tips" in order to make your review more helpful etc... might be an idea for TA to create this and add as a clickable blue hyperlink as it does for the photo section when you're writing the review.

Could be worth you suggesting it over in the HUMTAB forum here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_u… presuming that the tips "don't" exist and i've gone mad and missed them :)

Hi, me again :) I just thought of checking something and my hunch paid off, there are tips/guidelines for Restaurants, Vacation Rentals and Attractions reviews, but not Hotel Reviews...seems strange to me :S

CB

Edited: 12 November 2011, 11:27
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

CB, where did you find those tips for the reviews of restaurants, vacation rentals, and attractions? All I was able to find are these general instructions on how to submit a review:

tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_write_a_review

I agree, tips on how to write a helpful hotel review would be a great addition to the site, if they don't already exist. And if they do exist, someone should add a link to them in the Help Center.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 12:08
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Hey CW... they are on the actual review submission page for each section... i had to go to create a review for each one to see if there were any tips, and their are, but as i say NOT for the Hotel section which i found weird...

When you click on the link it displays the following:

<<Tips for writing a great review

Do

Describe the service you experienced

Tell us how you liked the food

Talk about the atmosphere

Say what you liked best & least

Don't

Use profanity, threats, or personal insults

Include e-mail addresses or phone numbers

Write in ALL CAPS

Report someone else's experience

See our Review guidelines for more information about our editorial criteria.

NOTE: If you represent the management of this property and would like to respond to a review, please use the management response form.>>

They are pretty much the same for each section with a few word alterations pertaining to that review type, BUT, as i say i couldn't find a "tios and guidelines" link on the Hotel section.

CB ",)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Thanks, CB! i just found them too. They should definitely be included on a Help Center page too.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 12:15
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Well, i've just looked again under the Hotel section and i cannot find that link anywhere LOL.. Where in relation to the bubble rating is the link?

CB

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

And I did find one on the hotel review form. It's in the right hand column underneath the section showing "Recent reviews of this property".

Here's what it says for hotels:

"Tips for writing a great review

"*Do*

"Describe the service you experienced

"Tell us how you liked the room

"Talk about the location & amenities

"Say what you liked best & least

"*Don't*

"Use profanity, threats, or personal insults

"Include e-mail addresses or phone numbers

"Write in ALL CAPS

"Report someone else's experience

"See our Review guidelines for more information about our editorial criteria.

"NOTE: If you represent the management of this property and would like to respond to a review, please use the management response form."

Edited: 12 November 2011, 12:19
7. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2011, 12:23
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

OMG how stupid is that??? Someone needs hauling over the coals for the mis-placement of that tiny link!!! *rolls eyes*

Why the heck don't they put it in the same place as they do with the other sections, namely at the top of the Your Review box?

Well, you fancy popping next door and recommending the change? And yes, the addition to the Review Section in the Help Center, that would be great.

MADNESS!!!

CB ",)

Edited: 12 November 2011, 12:25
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,079 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Sounds like a plan, CB. In fact, I think this may lead to multiple HUMTAB threads. Sadly, I can't do that at the moment but maybe later today.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 12:31
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips on Writing a Helpful Review?

Hi pmcbee ~

When it comes to reviews, I think it's helpful to remember that you are writing about your personal experience. You are not really writing to "catch" helpful votes. That would be like going to a lot of trouble and expense to take a vacation to see wildlife. They may show themselves to you, they may not.

I have had a look at all your reviews. I don't see anything that detracts from them. In fact they are well written, with good descriptions. They also beautifully capture your experiences. I would only suggest that writing in paragraphs will hold a reader's attention better than writing 20+ lines of block typing. A reader will weary of trying to sort information from that format, if they are willing to read it at all.

I also see that many of the other reviews on the locations you reviewed don't have helpful votes. Some have 1. Many locations are in really popular places in the world, often vacation destinations or resort destinations. IMO, those ones get a lot of helpful votes. But if you are reviewing something that is in a quieter, less visited location, those will get fewer helpful votes ... just by law of averages! as fewer people will be visiting those locations.

Hotels and restaurants lend themselves much more easily to addressing the various components there. Attractions don't always have as many components to them. Would Tybee be an example? I've not been there so don't know.

When it comes to a hotel, it may be worthwhile to report your experience with: location, hotel ambiance (business, family, casual/formal) and hotel amenities; your room (bed comfort, amenities, fridge, microwave, coffee); bathroom; outlook (view?) to the outside, noise; front desk reception; staff service; housekeeping, response to requests and questions if any, room service, cleanliness.

A restaurant might include: ease of parking; welcome; service and attitude of servers; food: taste, presentation, hot/cold; quality of attention through to the bill and paying; quality of dealing with any issues, ambiance.

These are just a few of the components I can think of right now. Perhaps dropping into a city forum - say in the Dominican Republic, or Cancun, or Hawaii - and going in to the hotels/resorts reviews would bring up some that are "regimentally" reviewed in distinct subheading. Maybe find a poster or two somewhere with a couple of hundred reviews and check out their reviews. Especially lucky if you happen upon someone who divvies up their reviews into categories. Just great for getting ideas.

I would encourage you to just write of your experience. You will just never know who reads your reviews and benefits from them, without marking a helpful vote. You might be a "secret santa' all the way and not even know it!