We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

Hi

A tour operator that I used last year and which turned out to be a disaster, has emailed me using my personal email. When posters ask about the tour operator on the forum that I use, I give my opinion. The tour operator has asked me to stop because "it is damaging his business". A couple of questions:

1) is he allowed to contact me on my personal email like this? (he has my email because I had to give it when I booked the 6 week tour)

2) Should I stop giving my views when people ask? I am doing something wrong?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

If you're telling the truth about what happened to you, and only providing that info when people ask about that operator, you're not doing anything wrong.

Yes, the tour operator shouldn't abuse their access to your personal info; however, there is nothing that TA can do to help you in this situation, unless this is a tour operator that can be reviewed on TA in the same manner as a hotel or restaurant. However, most tour operators offer multi-day tours which are not eligible for reviews. (If they can be reviewed, it's possible that TA could attach a red warning to their listing, if you inform them of this contact.)

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

In addition i would keep all correspondence, but reply with a firm but polite

" Hi there, this was my personal experience and as such I am entitled to share it with fellow travellers. If you continue to contact me in the manner i will have no alternative than to take legal action for harassment !!"

That should stop them ;-)

CB

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,102 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

Hi Catherine_London;

For future reference, the Support Forum is available for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

Best Regards

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

You should be able to block his emails through your email program. This might be simpler than using cheekybadger's statement, although I do like that ;-)

I see nothing wrong with stating your opinion about the tour on the forums!

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

Thanks - some great advice.

Country-Wife - yes, unfortunately it is a tour company for Argentina so it doesn't fit under a "city tour" hence why the owner is using the forum as a method to post reviews rather than the review section. The weekly "let me tell you how good xx is" is spoiling the forum.

Cheekybadger - I will post that - thanks!

Rescue_team - noted. I see it has been moved thanks

Half-Brit - I've had a look but Gmail doesn't have the capacity to block senders (it only offers to move their emails direct to trash) so if I get another email I will have to change my email address. So great, being hassled by the MD - just the icing on top of a completely miserable holiday!

6. Re: Advice please - tour operator has contacted me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 05:23