We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How could someone get my phone number?

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How could someone get my phone number?

Hi

I was called last evening from a person in Cleveland, and wanted to ask me about the resort that I did a review on..

Can you tell, me, how it was possible for him to get my phone number? My husband took the call, and it was from a private number, so I could not call him back, to ask that question..it has me puzzled, can you help?

thanks

Judy

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Did you give your phone number when you booked the resort or when you checked in?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,402 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Welcome to the Support Forum, Judy! Please note that this forum is primarily members assisting other members. Support Forum DEs are members who volunteer time to answer questions on the forums.

My best guess, the resort has your phone number and you were likely getting a call from them (using a calling card many times numbers show (or not) with the number of the phone card that is taking the call.)

Why do I say that the resort may be up to this? First, TripAdvisor does not reveal any member's information to other members, business owners or managers.

Second, when I read your review you gave a bit too many details of who you are, by saying how many people you traveled with, an unusual large number for a single party.

Obviously, an alternative and also plausible explanation is that your screen name is your last name. Looking it up on the white pages (assuming you're listed) in Green Bay may result in only one hit (or more but the caller got lucky). You also more or less let it know that you are a grandmother. A quick search on the web for a persons name many times yield the year of birth. I know because just googling a friend's name who had moved to Texas, I was able to figure out her address because of the year of birth.

Sorry but I can't come up with any other plausible explanation. If the person happens to call again and threatens you for posting a bad review, please do post on this forum again.

Silvia

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Hi Judy and welcome to the support forums

Well not from TA as they do not know your telephone number

Did the resort know your telephone number and could it have been from someone at the resort???

If not it could have been that the person it question did some research on your screen name of TA and your home location as it is amazing the details that can be found

If your TA name is your real name you may want to change it to something else as sometimes the name can give away too many details

You could just call the person and ask

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Hi

Thanks for the reply..

My profile name is not my last name.

I do not recall giving our phone number at the resort. The phone number came up as private name, private number.

It seems like an awful lot of research on someone's part just to call me.

Still puzzled..

Thanks

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Hi

I would love to be able to call the person, but it came up private number, private name.

My husband said he was very pleasant and thanked him for his time.

My TA name, is not my last name.

Still puzzled.

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

My TA name is not my present name.

The phone number came up, as private number and private name. My husband said the gentleman was very pleasant and thanked him for his time..

Still puzzled.

I do not recall, giving the resort my phone number.

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Hi

No one has still been able to figure this out.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,706 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

I think Hans_Den, Expat-in-Cabarette and flipflop_man have all figured it out and given you the explanation. It has nothing to do with TripAdvisor - who don't have your phone number anyway.

Luigi

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,679 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

Even if you didn't give your phone number to the resort, it sounds like you gave them enough information to figure out your name. And from there, it's often not too hard to find your phone number through a simple web search. Have you tried googling your own name lately?

green bay wi
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How could someone get my phone number?

I had another call last night, and asked how he got my number.

He said it was on my review, which, when I looked at my review, I did not see it on there. I also know, that I did not put it on there!!!!!!!!!!