We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

I have been confronted by a proprietor of a premises after I posted a negative review. How can I complain about this?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

When you say confronted how do you mean? I can see he has left as response to your review, has he attempted to contact you by any other means? If yes then this shouldn't be allowed and report it to TA.

Also, going on the management response, how did you choose to cancel? When you didn't get a response from the first email did you not think to call to see if they had recieved it - email isn't the most reliable form of communication.

Other than that, not really much to be said about the response, pretty much a 'he said, she said' scenario I'm afraid.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Go to tripadvisor.com/userreviewsupport to use the pull down menu to contact TA Staff if the owner has personally contacted you That is against TA rules and they will likely contact the owner about his behavior.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Ok if what the O.P is reffing is the M.R it seems fair enough to me.

Everything stated in the review happens when the situation is reversed.

Why not try using this thing we used to call a telephone?

In the review it says something like.

It appears all is good when things go well but when something goes wrong it brings out the temperment that lies underneath....really and you dont see why yhe B.O is upset.

As I said everything in the review can be revewsed and it happens to businesses by guests every day..

S.C

Edited: 28 October 2012, 15:09
4. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:35
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

prefectly appropriate MR imo.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

I haven't read the Review or the Management Response, but I'm intrigued as to why TA should want to gag business owners in this fashion. Of course it's their site, and they can therefore make any rules that they so wish, and users must abide by those rules. But to limit an owner's options when dealing with, what he believes to be, false or malicious reviews is, in my view, a control too far.

What would be TA's ultimate sanction to a manager or owner who continued to contact reviewers?

Just curious,

Edward.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Edward - in the past if they have reason to believe actual harassment to remove a review, etc, went on, I know of three things they have done": 1) sent a letter to the company 2) put a "red warning box" on the listing advising that TA has reason to believe the business is tying to manipulate ratings and 3) artificially lower the rankings, pretty severely, of that business.

I do not know what criteria they use for those, or if they are currently doing that. Just a poorly worded Management REsponse does not cause them to do it - it has to be other things and/or a pattern.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

They typically put a red warning sign on the business' review page like they have on this one: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499228-d250110…

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Thanks for that you two.

Does everyone else agree with this policy of TA's, where they castigate owners who might well be struggling against some concerted effort to unfairly damage their business?

I find the very idea quite disturbing, but then I would, wouldn't I?

Regards,

Edward.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inappropriate Behaviour of a Proprietor

Ok To Edward

Its not your first rodeo here you know how this STUFF works why pretend as though you do not. you know the game.

You know that they put a plug in anything that can lead to what becomes an on going conflict between businesses and members-businesses and businesses-and members and members.

The basic rule in which I ignore but its still a rule is not to post a review or a topic or a post on a topic that creates a person to want to do something more than simply respond to it or ignore it anything more violates and if reported goes POOF...but you already knew that.

S.C

Edited: 29 October 2012, 21:38