We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Rossland, British...
2 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip somewhere tropical, we were thinking either Mexico, Caribbean, or central America. We are thinking next September is when we would be able to go. We would like to be able to go snorkeling, surfing (beginner), and rent a house on or near the beach. Not too interested in an all inclusive style vacation as we have both done this already. We also don't mind staying in several places while on our trip.

Does anyone have some good trip ideas that would allow us to do the activities listed? Thanks in advance!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

That is going to be a tough combination to meet... Snorkeling and surfing generally do not exist in the same places.

First, be aware that September is the peak of the hurricane season in the Caribbean and Mexico. Your chances of actually being affected by a storm are very small, but some people really worry about such things.

There is not much surfing in the Caribbean; there is just not the combination of reasonably large waves and a proper shaped beach. Some Central American countries, like Costa Rica, do have decent surf and a few surfing schools. If you dropped the snorkeling requirement, then Costa Rica is a great destination, especially in the Tamarindo/Guanacaste region (NW coast) where there are numerous resorts. There are lots of other interesting things to do in Costa Rica (zip-lines, Arenal Volcano, Cloud Forest) but also keep in mind that Sept. is in the middle of their rainy season so you would probably be wet.

The one area that I can think of which would hit all of your "wants" is Hawaii. They have both surfing (of all sizes) and good snorkeling with a wide range of accommodations, but I suspect a house rental would be pretty expensive. You might try checking VRBO for some condo rentals. I suspect that Hawaii would be relatively easy for you to get to from your home location, although perhaps you have already been there.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

I agree with Amateur. These two activities are often mutually exclusive unless you want to move around a bit. I am an avid snorkeler and diver, and the only places i know where these activities co-exist well are in Hawaii, Some Tahitian islands and some parts of Australia. I'm sure there are others. I love Costa Rica, but the snorkeling is not good. If you want to forgo the snorkeling, Costa Rica is a great place to learn to surf. Nicaragua is another place for great surfing. However, I would be cautious of the weather in September.

Barbados has both snorkeling and surfing. The snorkeling is mediocre -OK. I am not a surfer, but the surfing looks pretty decent on the East Coast (the windy coast).

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Some resorts in Fiji offer snorkeling and surfing. September is outside the rainy/cyclone season.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

from the sound of your post, it looks like you need to ditch your caribbean plans and go to hawaii, specifically maui, kauai and oahu....

with 2 weeks, you can easily visit 2 islands, or squeeze in 3, with the bulk of your time on maui and kauai..... you can further split up your time on each of the islands, tho i think i would just stay in one place on oahu, preferably the northshore....

check out these guidebooks:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,595 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Puerto Rico actually has decent surfing and you can get beginner lessons. It also has good snorkeling.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

matava resort on the island of kadavu in fiji has both...that island has one of the best reefs..to surf and snorkel...we had this large green fish , large, lumbering below us..maybe a big bass...and it was alive on the reef...live conch and colorful snail like animals..wow,

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Look at panama.. pedasi is beautiful and has fantastic snorkelling and the surfer's paradise is right down the street in playa veneo. we flew into to panama city and rented a car- pedasi is a 5-6 hour very interesting car ride away.. they do have flights that go closer to there, but we wanted to see the country.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Thanks so much for this tip. That's just what I'm looking for, snorkel and surf. Only some of us will be scuba diving-- Did you see any of diving happening there?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

Fiji on the coral coast you can do both - great surf and plenty of tropical fish to see. Just putting it out there.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling and surfing vacation ideas?

There is diving on the island of Kadavu in Fiji..Check out Matava resort...

Get answers to your questions