We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair fares in italy

Lancaster, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wheelchair fares in italy

I am travelling to italy in july by train. TrenItalia tell me that the wheelchair space is in first class and as I am not an italian national I have to pay the full 1st class fare, this to me is unfair as i have no choice of class. Anyone else been hit by this.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,934 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

Hi Gig1964;

I would suggest posting your question on the “Train Travel” forum as well.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tra…

Best Regards

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

I thought that one of the benefits of the EU was supposed to be that others EU nationals got the same benefits as nationals of the country they were visiting.

The TrenItalia website has a section on wheelchair access but doesn't mention the wheelchair spaces being in first class.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

The website does say the Blue card offering free companion fares is only available to residents of Italy www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

The wheelchair spaces on TGVs in France are all First class. There is a set wheelchair fare which can be more or less than the cheapest available first class fare but the companion does travel at half the rate of the wheelchair passenger.

There are no wheelchair spaces on TGVs in Standard class.

Lancaster, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

I to thought that was eu rules as well. I have contacted my mep and he has written to the comissioner in brussels reponsible for transport and to our anbassador in rome

Lancaster, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

the other year in spain I had to pay for the disability pass but that was fair as spanish nationals had to pay for this also

6. Re: wheelchair fares in italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:17