We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Is it an overkill to combine these two destinations into one big trip? Just concern that i will be visually dull / numb after seeing such awesome scenes for at least three weeks.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

do it, you live today

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

They're such different scenery I doubt it'd be a problem. If you're thinking of going to Machu Picchu before Antarctica, you might want to consider giving yourself time to recuperate from the hike/altitude-related issues because even though the Antarctica leg of the trip is a cruise, it's still rather physically demanding.

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Yes, we only live once!! I'll go for it!

Will probably do Antarctic league first to handle jet-lag, then head to Peru to burn off some fats from good food serve on board cruise. :)

Any recommendation of reliable tour operator for Antarctic?

Thanks.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

I had also been thinking of combining these 2 destinations and even include Iguacu falls (Foz do Iguacu and Puerto Iguazu forums). Now I only do Iguacu Falls and then Antarctica (and South Africa).

A good tour operator (one of the best and none of the incidents/sinking in recent years was with one of their ships) is Dutch-owned www.oceanwide-expeditions.com . But if you want more luxury, then may be www.swan-hellenic.com would be better. They're keeping a daily log now of the present trips of their Minerva. This year they had incredible last-minute discounts and apparantly thsese are also available in Ushuaia just before other not fully-booked cruises, but then you need a lot of time of course to wait for such a cruise.

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Hi Dutchguy,

Thanks for the two links, will check them out! Good to have more alternatives....

Do you happen to know the major difference of tours provided by those large cruise ship (Swan H. or Princess Cruise) and the smaller expedition ones? Cos the destinations looks the same.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

The small ships (around 50 passengers) will spend more time on land as everyone will be landing at the same time, whereas on larger boats it can happen that land time will be split between 2 groups.

Often there will be 3 landings on a day and if that has to be split between 2 groups you can imagine it will be not as nice as when you don't have to wait.

I have not checked out what is the limit for all passengers being able to land at the same time, but you should surely check that out for ships with more than 50-60 passengers. In any any case there will never be more than 100 passengers landing as this is the limit of the Int.Association of Antarctic Tour Operators.

That said it has to be mentioned that I heard from my booking office that after the 2009-2010 season the small ships will not be operated anymore as it is not economical and that 80+ passenger ships will be operating. The zodiacs are for 10-12 people, and somehow I can't really imagine that they'd use 7 or more zodiacs. The small boats have 5 . Personally I am very glad I'll be with just 40 passengers.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Another thing I read is that the larger ships have fewer landing spots. It is written somewhere that the reason a lot of ships have all the same landing spots is not that these are the best but that they simply have no other choice.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Another alternative (a cheap one) : www.barkeuropa.com , but this is for the die-hards as the cabins are very very tiny and if you have to share you have no privacy. I saw them (in Amsterdam harbour). Extremely cramped, but sailing is a whole different experience of course and with them the "classic route" takes 3 weeks, twice the time of other ships (they now also sail to Cape Town in twice the time we will do it, almost 2 months) .

see www.cold-the-book.com for pictures.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

P.S,. I found by googling that the Minerva has 12 zodiacs and can carry 199 passengers on Antarctica trips. Although the daily log does not mention it, not all passenegrs will be landing at once and I have not read that much about landings in the first place.

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Combine Antarctic cruise & Machu Picchu together?

Thanks for all the valueable information. I doubt I will check out those without privacy; ain't travelling half around the world to give up a little luxury. :) Will check out the smaller ships that have maximum land opportunities.

Would you know which islands should not be missed?

Get answers to your questions