We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

I am travelling to spend time with my daughter in NZ in Dec 12 and wish to break the journey with a short stopover both outward and return.

I would appreciate any suggestions / advice

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

There is no such thing as a "best" stopover. You should either buy an airline ticket that stops over in a place you wish to visit or choose an airfare and just use whichever stopover city the plane lands in.

For some variety. why not consider an around the world ticket. You can then stopover in the US and an Asian city.

Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

You could visit Fiji. It's absolutely beautiful!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

Asuming that you will be flying the shorter route eastbound from London, I really like to stop for 3-4 days in Singapore.

The island is suprisingly green, the night tours of the zoo are fantastic, it feel very safe for a woman travelling alone and there are lots of inexpensive places to go for massages and reflexology to combat the effect of hours in an airplane.

It is a great place to get over jet lag. By the time you arrive, you will be ready to go in New Zealand.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,006 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

I like Mez's idea of an around the world ticket. You could do several stops wherever you wanted and the cost might not be much more than a retrun.

It really depends on how much time you have.

If you can leave a bit earlier in December, you may be able to avoid the Christmas fare rise.

I once fianced much of a trip to the Galapagos with the savings from leaving on the 4th December to meet my daughter for Christmas in New York.

With an around the world ticket, you could stop in Fiji, but it would be best to catch a plane the same day from Nadi to one of the islands. IME, Nandi does not feel comfortable for a female travelling solo.

On the other hand, Kuching in Malaysian Borneo felt very safe, inexpensive and fascinating.

And you could wander around Singapore in the middle of the night, and as long as you had mosquito repellant in your bag, you would be safe as houses.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

Either Singapore or Hong Kong. Singapore is good for 2-4 days, HK for 3-6 and can include a great day trip to Macau to see Asia's version of Las Vegas.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

I would choose Hong Kong over Singapore . Greatly more to do in HK i feel. And its also a scenic setting with wonderful vistas to be enjoyed, whereas Singapore is billiard table flat. HK is equally a safe destination,with few if any security concerns . Air New Zealand is currently the only airline that offers a complete round the world route. Via either HK or Los Angeles.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/login.html

Personally i would not wish to be seen supporting the Military regime in Fiji, dont wish to get into politics here, but suffice to say, that for me would not be an option.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

If you do decide to visit Hong Kong, here are some travel trip lists we've created for visitors that include many of the popular attractions here.

Hong Kong Attractions

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23948-What_to_…

Best of Victoria Harbour

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27892-The_Best…

Mongkok Markets

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Temples and Monasteries

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25656-Hong_Kon…

Macau Day Trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26979-Macau_Da…

Sha Tin Day Trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24058-A_Day_in…

Hong Kong with kiddies

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26165-Hong_Kon…

Best wishes in your travels.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

Speaking as a New Zealander living in Auckland, New Zealand...

If you were to book with Air New Zealand, you could do a stopover in Rarotonga, in the gorgeous Cook Islands one way. The Cook Islands are a very special place for "getting away from it all" and relaxing. It is also an extremely safe place, where everyone looks after everyone else. Going home again on an Air New Zealand fare, you could stop in Hong Kong, which is a fun city to explore for a couple of days.

Another great option would be to fly on Emirates and stop over in the exciting city of Dubai. With an Emirates fare, you could also stop-over in Australia or Singapore in one direction.

Or for something completely different, how about flying via South America and stopping over in the wonderful city of Santiago, Chile? LAN have several flights weekly from Europe to Chile and then on to Auckland, NZ.

Re Fiji: I agree with pomkitanner - There is a pretty ruthless dictator running Fiji at the moment. Personally, I won't be spending my holiday dollars in that country until he is ousted and the country returns to a democracy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

Thank you. It s nice to know that it has a 'safe feel'.

Singapore was my first choice and now I feel more confident about stopping over alone.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,932 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Auckland alone, which are the best stopovers

stroppymare, would you think of posting on here how you got on and what you did when you get back. It would be great to know what you did, how long it took and how you felt about it.

Feeling my age! And fed up with flying I will be looking for stop overs on my way to Oz next time.

Love the idea of the Cook Islands but don't think my budget will streatch.