We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

I want to go to South America or Australia for two months. I do not know anyone in either places. I don't know where to go and how to plan it. So ideally I would like, 1. cheap accommodation 2. people to do activities with like snorkel, hike, visit attractions, party etc. 3. travel between cities like Chile, Argentina, Peru? I dont know how expensive this is...

So I guess what Im asking is how to find a good route and get to find out how much it will cost and how I can book tours to do different activities with other people while there cause I do not want to do it alone. Do I just go with the flow when I get there and plan the first leg on my own. Won't living in hotels be expensive?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

Oh and if people want to travel with me that would be great too!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,683 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

Australia is easy. It is organised for tourism and easy to get around. Buses & trains are reliable, coaches also for travelling. There are Tourist Information Centres which have money off coupons & trips to book.

For company & budget I would go for some of the better hostels. Many have swimming pools, bike hire & BBq's.

Sydney is easy to get around and for the snorkelling maybe Queensland as the nearest with Lady Elliot Island being right on the reef. You can do a day trip to a week.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
880 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

Your asking a lot without knowing a lot about your budget. What is inexpensive to one might be expensive to another. There is so much you can do in two months. I once went around the world in one month traveling to five different continents spending around $6,000 USD on everything, including air fares, mid price hotels and food. I think that was a pretty inexpensive to me.

I spent a lot of time on the internet researching. You can get so much information right here on Tripadvisor too. Just pick a city or country you think you are interested in and over on the left hand column you'll find Things to do, Travel Guide, Restaurants, Hotels, and more in that country or city on Tripavisor. South America is probable going to be a lot less expensive then Australia. I like Southeast Asia ( Thailand, Vietnam, & Cambodia ) they are to me very inexpensive to visit and you get a lot for your money.

I see you have posted this same question on other Individual country forums, that's good too. As you narrow your countries and cities down repost your questions, but do some research first. Like post a question like where is a good place to snorkel in Peru on the Peru Forum .

Half the fun to me is doing the planning and research.

Don't worry about traveling alone , It's easy to meet people as you travel.

Have fun and safe trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

Australia is anything but cheap.

Probably on a par with England.

If you want cheap I too, would recommend SEA.

Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia are great coutries to travel.

India is also cheap but a bit more out there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,718 posts
5,778 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

For a first timer, particularly if you are inexperienced at traveling in less developed parts of the world like S.America, I'd highly recommend looking into some traditional overland and long-distance tour providers, like dragoman, contiki, kumuka, gap adventure travel and many others that take groups around and arrange all the travel and accommodation.

This is a good way to meet and spend time with like-minded travelers and enjoy new places in a stress free way if you are not used to traveling in places far away from home.

In Australia, you can do the same with companies like the Oz Experience but its much less necessary as most everything is easy to arrange and deal with on your own.

Hope this is useful.

6. Re: Two months off, need advice on where to go? How?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:41