We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the new traveler???

Eugene, Oregon
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice for the new traveler???

So my husband just got a new job and will be traveling a lot outside the US and I might even get to tag-a-long a bit ;) Any advice on what we will be needing, luggage, apps that are useful, what is the best way to take a nice camera/laptop etc......I am looking for anything that you swear by and wouldn't leave home without! Oh and we haven't ever been out of the country so anything helps!.....Thanks SOOO much!!

11. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 December 2011, 07:35
Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Travel as light as possible. Pack, then remove 1/2 and then remove 1/2 again. You won't regret it. You don't need to be stylish. You need to be comfortable. Bring your meds and preferred toiletries. If you're going overseas you may not be able to get them. Also, get some Cipro from your doctor, just in case, and hope you never, ever have to use it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

What countries will you be traveling to? Sometimes I read these posts and it sounds as though people seem to think that you need to stock up on all your supplies because you can't get anything you need outside of the US.

I wouldnt stress too much about what you pack, it's trial and error most of the time and if you do happen to forget something you can almost always buy what you need when you get there anyway. I travel overseas for 1 week out of every 3 weeks for work and my essentials are (like many of the other posts) iPod/iPad, noise canceling headphones, travel speakers, eye mask & ear plugs (even though you usually get these on the plane it's good to have just in case) moisturiser and finally melatonin for sleeping. What you need at your destination very much depends on where you're going but that's a good place to start for the journey there and back.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 05:03
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

1) Conditioner for your hair - many other countries don't stock this as a routine toiletry, especially in business class hotels

2) A small power strip - Monster makes a good one. This way you can charge all of your items with just one voltage converter/adapter rather than having to take turns or buy multiple adapters.

You asked about how to take your camera/laptop. That really depends on personal preferences, but i always use a backpack. be sure that it has a strap that connects across the chest to take the stress off of your neck and shoulders. Most importantly, though, never check your electronics; that should always go in your carry-on.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

ipad / journal / camera / my own hairdyer (most hotels ones are horrible ). / own shampoo / charger for iphone. / scan of passport & itinerary.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

You should always have with you patience, a willingness to learn, an open mind, a desire to experience new things, a sense of adventure and most of all a sense of humor. Oh yes, with airlines, take low expectations - that way you will never be disappointed ;-)

Everything else you can buy when you get there.

Enjoy your travels.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

<<Everything else you can buy when you get there.>>

That's a good idea, if it meets your travel style. We really don't know the case of the OP. However, in my case, My travel to many remote areas.

Not everything is readily available in *any* remote area of the world.

My previous post listed things that I pack to be comfortable, which all fit in my carry-on.

I'd like to hear from the OP again for more details. Is the OP attending Office type meetings in big cities? or putting out oil well fires in remote areas? Type of travel will have different packing needs. Business travel isn't restricted to a suit & tie life style.

monza
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

I have been a global road warrior for 20 years and i am amazed at what people are suggesting you take. Unless you are going to an oil field in the middle of kazakhstan don't bother with food/water/toiletries you can get those everywhere. I never check luggage - a trusty travel pro roll on and a laptop bag. I always carry an ipod, i have an olympus tough waterproof and shock proof camera, a travel adapter, everything electrical that can charge through a usb, a global phone (quadband gsm not the usa cdma crap) and then email yourself to a gmail account scanned copies of visas, passport and cc - top tip do not take anything that will give security a reason to hassle you - definately no leatherman tools, no torch (get a bb or ipad or iphone with a torch app - got to say i ahve never needed one) small sewing kit is ok, no scissors though. And finally any medications you need, maybe some things like antacid and headache tablets. I always keep a range of currencies in cash and two seperate wallets which i keep seperate in case i lose one or leave one at home.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

"I am amazed at what people are suggesting you take."

I hear this statement often, but here's an FYI. I just returned from 1 month in Europe. France, Great Britian, Belgiun, Spain, and Malta. I traveled with two others from my company who made comments of the things I take. Everything I take fits in my Carry-On and Computer Case.

First night in France, we got in late. They were commenting on being hungry, and having to wait for breakfast, however, we had to be working before breakfast was served. So, they spent some time in my room at midnight, happily slurping down Ramen noodles, and Crystal Lite.

The next morning at 4:00am, came a knock at my door. They were ready for instant oatmeal, and coffee. Since I carry very little, this depleated my supply. After work, we found an excellant restaurant, and a grocery store to restock the suitcase supply. (They bought some small items too.) After the grocery store, they spent some time transfering some TV shows from my laptop, to theirs, since there was no English TV.

So say what you will, I'm always comfortable, and still manage to travel light.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Advice for the new traveler???

Exactly... it is that midnight or 2AM jet lag induced keep-you-awake hunger.

Anyplace I land late at night after travelling a long way (eg Singapore), or where I'll be running for a connection in the early morning (eg. SYD, FRA, AMS, or LHR) demands healthy snack food in my carryon. SYD is a bit tricky with quarantine.

I'll do 2-3 weeks, depending on season and destination, with carryon including all my course props.

Now, the first thing I do when I hit the hotel in London is go out and get healthy stuff to stock the fridge.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 14:05