We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Huron Amtrak Station to Chicago (parking issue)

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Port Huron Amtrak Station to Chicago (parking issue)

I am hoping to do a trip around Christmas to Chicago and was thinking the train might be a fun idea to do instead of flying. However, in order to get to Port Huron, MI I'd have to drive and likely leave my car in their long term parking lot. Therefore, I was just wondering what the experience of others has been with regards to:

1) how safe is it to park there? Are thefts common as we'd be gone 3 days or so?

2) is there ever a scarcity issue with regards to spaces available?

3) Are there any local hotels that would charge a fee to park for a few days after a hotel stay?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've never traveled in this area of the US or Can so I am totally ignorant on this one & can't find much info on Port Huron online.

Thanks in advance,

P

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,518 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Huron Amtrak Station to Chicago (parking issue)

Why don't you take the 12:15 VIA rail from TORonto to Windsor ON and grab a taxi to cross over to Detroit Amtrak to catch the 18:00 Wolverine into Chicago. It arrives just after midnight - a 12 hour trip including the hour and a half layover to get across the bridge from Canada into the US. The taxi drivers have special passes and make the trip all the time. You just have to go through the usual customs routine at the bridge plaza. An hour and a half between trains to get from one station to the other and through customs is easy. That way you don't have to worry about a car and parking at all.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 12:29
2. Re: Port Huron Amtrak Station to Chicago (parking issue)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 05:21
Get answers to your questions