We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Honeymoon concerns

September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Hi All, my fiancé and I are getting married in early September and are having trouble deciding on a honeymoon location. Mainly due to the uncertainty of things mainly with the pandemic. We also are not huge travelers and are just looking for a nice clean resort with things to do without having to travel off the resort. Here are where we are in our thoughts if anyone is willing to offer and guidance.

- we debated Florida as we are from NY, and while it is hurricane season it would keep us in The US but are struggling with what areas or resorts to target as we have read key west can be like spring break, Miami could be hit or miss

- Baha mar in the Bahamas. Lots of people said we would love it but lord of reviews show uncertainty.

Lastly Aruba, the Hyatt or Marriott seem to be great options and not overly pricey but again out of the country.

Any assistance would be great!

9 replies to this topic
1. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

I will add that we are mainly looking for palm trees, drinks, food, beach, relaxing, adult only or Adult vibe is a bonus. We where given a few area in Cancun but have reservations if we would enjoy Mexico. Also looked into Hawaii but it’s a little to pricey at the moment.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
430 reviews
113 helpful votes
2. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Right now, Aruba is hard-hit with COVID but of course things could change between now and early September. And, assuming you both will be vaccinated by then, your risk of contracting COVID would be low, according to the experts. I haven't been to Aruba, so don't know much about it. If you are considering Aruba, you could also consider nearby Curacao. The same comments apply. These islands are so far south that they are out of the hurricane zone,

I have been to Cancun a couple times. While it is geographically within Mexico, it is thoroughly Americanized. It has the palm trees, turquoise waters and beach with all-inclusive resorts you are seeking. I assume some are adult-only but have no personal knowledge of one. As it is on the Caribbean side of Mexico, there is hurricane risk, in September.

I have also stayed on Key West, tho years ago. There is not a lot of beach anywhere on Key West. It's also quite a small island, so I cannot imagine it has the big resorts you find elsewhere. I do not know if there are any all-inclusive adult-only resorts there. There is certainly a lot of drinking that goes on along Duval St., the main drag. I don't know that I would characterize it as "spring break atmosphere"...maybe. There is hurricane risk in the Keys, indeed anywhere in Florida in September.

Hawai'i is gorgeous but it's far for you to go and AI is not a feature found in resorts there.

On balance, I think Cancun comes closest to what you want if you can get comfortable w/ the idea of leaving the U.S.

Edited: 14 April 2021, 08:52
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
33,751 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Its not entirely clear if your goal is to stay in the USA, or not ....

If it is, you could consider California ... they have the palm trees, food, beaches, drinks you say you're looking for, and the weather is very nice in September, hot dry and sunny ....

That said, Those All Inclusive hotels ( especially Adult Only hotels, or Couples Only hotels) that most people think of are primarily a feature of tropical destinations, ie, the Caribbean Islands and Mexico, and to some extent more exotic locations -Thailand, Maldives or Turkey, Egypt, some other European destinations ...

So if you stay in the US, you would be looking at a “Non”all inclusive hotel, although a few hotels might have some kind of Meal Plan you could buy...

For more in depth information Trip-advisor has travel forums that deal specifically with locations/places and where other members who live locally, and TA designated “ Destination Experts” give travel advice about their own locations every day ... These are the forums that are dedicated to one specific place, like The Bahamas forum, or Aruba forum, or Key West forum( All locations worldwide have a dedicated forum) suggest trying the “ Destination” Forums if you need more info thats not general, but place specific

Safe travels

Edited: 14 April 2021, 09:58
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
106,139 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
4. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

I agree with Eden that most people have an image of AI and AO resorts as being in a tropical location. If I was heading to such a resort on honeymoon and not intending to leave it, I wouldn't be bothered where exactly it was. As long as I liked the facilities and the value being offered, I'd be pretty happy.

Of course, it would be silly if I tried o pretend that covid hasn't made a difference. Local restrictions will affect my enjoyment of any trip, and I'd also need to look into what travel restrictions might also be in place. I'd also be careful to check what covid measures are in place at the hotel itself.

In the end only your partner and yourself can decide exactly what you want an what sort of place will make for a great trip. Personally, I'd be hoping that the covid situation will be much better in Aruba by September. I know two couples who had their honeymoon there, and boh had a great time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
430 reviews
113 helpful votes
5. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

We "regulars" on this and other forums have been traveling internationally for so long, it's hard to remember those days when it was a new experience and the trepidations we may have had. Casting my mind back, the idea of passports/border formalities, exchanging and using foreign currencies and the language barrier seemed pretty daunting. And then there was the food and risk of getting sick from drinking the water. But these days, in any popular tourist destination, the residents are bilingual. Tourists mostly use credit cards and may not even need local currency. Plus in a place like Cancun or Aruba, border formalities are very simple and quickly completed. As for the food, in a good resort, it will be safe, the food on offer will be designed to appeal to an international clientele, and the water will be filtered, although to be extra-safe, it's best to stick to bottled water and avoid ice cubes.

And what RojBlake says is true: once you've arrived at the resort, which country it's located in won't make much difference if you're planning to stay put and not do any sightseeing.

None of us has been traveling much, if at all, since COVID arrived. Other than being aware of the situation in different countries and any restrictions that may be placed on tourists wishing to visit, there's not much I, at least, can offer.

6. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Being so new to the forums I was not sure where to post this so I appreciate the idea of post within the specific areas being Florida, Bahamas, and Aruba! Thank you!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
33,751 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
7. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

No worries, you're welcome 👍

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
377 reviews
135 helpful votes
8. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Recently vacationed at Key West. Stayed at a B%B. Wonderful! If you have the opportunity drive from Miami to Key West. Gorgeous drive. Rent a convertible. If you are looking for a more structured venue, review the web site for Woodlock resort in PA Family owned since 1950. Each family member is head of a department. All take an active interest in your comfort and enjoyment. Great times. Happy travels!

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
63 helpful votes
9. Re: September Honeymoon concerns
Save

Hi There!

First, don't be afraid to wait and see. We just booked our honeymoon 30 days out. Things are changing quickly.

Second, make sure you get a travel agent, they can really help keep up with everything.

My Recommendations:

- Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana, affordable and very nice!

- Check out the Naples area if you are looking in Florida.

Hope that helps!

Reply to: September Honeymoon concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.