We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guatemala vs Costa Rica vs Honduras for 1 week Honeymoon

Carencro, Louisiana
1 post
Guatemala vs Costa Rica vs Honduras for 1 week Honeymoon
Save

My (active duty Army) husband and I are looking into CR, Guate, & Honduras for a week long honeymoon. We would love to hike somewhere (safe) in the forests or maybe get a tour through the forests (not sure how it works but we’re avid hikers in Louisiana) and we’d like to be on a beach as well (just for relaxation). I’m looking to see animals (safely, haha) and also relax with my spouse. We’re looking at going next year, don’t want to spend over $5k on the trip and have no clue the best time of year to go either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
436 reviews
114 helpful votes
1. Re: Guatemala vs Costa Rica vs Honduras for 1 week Honeymoon
Save

For safety, choose Costa Rica, hands down. It is also very beautiful and teeming with wildlife, tho wildlife can be hard to spot and some are extremely elusive. Honduras is one of the more dangerous countries to visit due to crime. In addition, they have recently been hit by natural disasters and have not had time to rebuild. Guatemala has some no-go areas due to extreme poverty and drug activity. Please consult the U.S. State Department traveler info. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

Guatemala and Honduras both have some magnificent Mayan archeological sites--Tikal and Copan, to name 2 of the most famous.

Costa Rica has several widely different ecosystems ranging from the Cloud Forest in the mountains, to rain forest, to dry scrublands, each with different animals, and beaches with resorts, of course. We saw sloths, iguanas, frogs, lizards, howler monkeys, bats, some splendid birds and a few giant crocodiles. They also have some snakes you do not want to encounter and were told to be alert while walking around, so you may want to have a guide or at least read up on what to expect in various parts.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Guatemala vs Costa Rica vs Honduras for 1 week Honeymoon
Save

You say “no clue the best time of year to go” ...

For Costa Rica, mid December to April is the “ dry Season”, lots of sunshine make it ideal for beach time and rainforest visits.. Of course thats also peak tourist season /most expensive time to visit too

Reply to: Guatemala vs Costa Rica vs Honduras for 1 week Honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.