We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a 3-week honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia. I realize that our itinerary is a bit ambitious, so I am wondering if anyone has any advice or alternative suggestions. We are open to travel by plane or train. We are 28 and 30, Canadian, and are interested in wine, good food, fine dining, coffee, scenic landscapes, medieval and WWII history, short hikes and small fairy-tale-esque towns and villages. We like our travel to be a mix of leisurely days where we spend the day walking around and finding cool places to grab a glass of wine, and fast-paced days where we are doing touristy things. We are open to doing a couple of day trips if they make sense. I have already been to Paris, Amsterdam and Munich, but my husband has never been to any of these cities.

Here is our current itinerary:

August 7th: Arrive in Paris

3 nights in Paris

Travel to Munich

4 nights in Munich (including possible day trips around Black Forest region)

Travel to Amsterdam

2 nights in Amsterdam

Travel to Hamburg

1 night in Hamburg

Travel to Copenhagen

3 nights in Copehhagen

Travel to Stockholm

4 nights in Stockholm

Travel to Bergen

1 night in Bergen

Travel to Oslo

2 nights in Oslo

Fly home from Oslo on August 27th.

I would appreciate any advice or criticism you are willing to give us! Thx.

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
514 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

I am a believer in "less is more". Your itinerary involves so many travel days that you will be spending a lot of time seeing airports or train stations and not much time actually doing fun things.

I think you should decide whether you want to see Paris/Amsterdam/Munich and add some lovely and interesting smaller places in each of those countries (e.g. D-Day locations in Normandy; some exquisite chateaux of the Loire Valley like Chenonceaux, etc; visit some wineries in France and/or Germany; see the Rhine River valley).

Or spend your time in Hamburg and Scandinavia. Remember that 2 nights in a location means only one full day of sightseeing.

Between Bergen and Oslo is one of the most scenic rail journeys in the world; it take something like 8 hours. You can also get off and take the Flam Railway to see fjords and small villages before continuing your journey.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around/by-train/the-bergen-railway/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

I agree with CV... " less is more"

And lm exhausted just reading your proposed itinerary, tbh

Id recommend looking at actual Train Schedules to find out the length of the train trip first..

Also keep in mind all the time and effort it will take packing and unpacking, checking into an out of hotels , catching an Uber to the train station or taking public transit to get there, waiting for the train, getting on the train with all of your heavy luggage, taking the journey , any possible, stoppages or rerouting of the train (as my experience in Europe, they often are shutting down routes to do roadworks) getting off of the train , schlepping your bags into another Uber. Getting to your hotel , checking in , unpacking walking around to get your bearings....those one /two night stays in cities are Lots of Travel

Try this excellent Train schedule/route website

http://Seat61.com

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
121,004 posts
418 reviews
365 helpful votes
3. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

I am another who believes in less is more. On top of that I am not a fan of one or even two night stops (unless it's in connection with a very early departure of a very late arrival). Two nights is not one full day and many forget that the total travel time hotel to hotel is a fair bit more than just the flight time or rail journey time.

Specifically I would drop Hamburg and fly Amsterdam to Copenhagen. I might keep Bergen in as the train ride to Oslo is spectacular. But if I did that I would probably drop Munich as well so that I could add more nights to Paris and Oslo instead. The night saved in Hamburg would go to Amsterdam.

Then I'd have 5 nights Paris which will help with getting over her lag and also allow for a day trip out of the city. Then a train to Amsterdam and 3 nights there a flight to Copenhagen (3 nights), then Bergen and 4 nights in Oslo (or 3 with an extra night in Copenhagen).

That is what I would do anyway Sorry Germany but this time you are a country too many!

Edited: 29 January 2024, 05:55
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
84 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

Congratulations on your marriage and being able to take a 3 week honeymoon. That's great!

I can't give advice on your actual trip (I've only visited Paris), but here are some thoughts about honeymoons and observations about your plans.

Your first 3 cities (Paris, Amsterdam, and Munich) are ones that you have already visited. Now, maybe your partner really wants to see them as well, but I suggest you look for locations that are new to the both of you.

Not knowing you or your situation, maybe this is not easy to do. But, if there are spots that are a first for both of you, I think this would be the better option. It's magical to experience something new for the first time in your new marriage, making memories that are just the two of you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
5. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

Thanks everyone for your advice. We are back to the drawing board. Based on our interests, your feedback and the fact that the Olympics are in Paris (which would have been a grievous mistake), we have decided to forgo Paris and Scandinavia and focus on Germany and MAYBE Amsterdam. Stay tuned for my next post, lol.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
514 reviews
144 helpful votes
6. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

That's wise. Consider Austria if you are going to Germany. Vienna is a lovely city in which to spend some time (all those coffee houses from the 19th Century...and delicious pastries!) Vineyards in the nearby Wachau Valley, too, which is pretty accessible.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
7. Re: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help

If focussing on Germany, its best to post directly on Tripadvisors actual dedicated Germany " Destination" Forum itself ( as done in the past)...

Thats where you'll find the TA members who live locally, visit often, and /or the Destination Experts for Germany giving the most knowledgeable feedback on travel questions/itineraries /public transit/Hotels, etc daily

Tripadvisor has a dedicated Destination Forum and local Experts for virtually every Country/City

Edited: 27 February 2024, 09:59
Reply to: Honeymoon in Northern Europe and Scandinavia- Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.