We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
67 helpful votes
Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

Hi all. Looking for some suggestions as I'm terribly undecided.

Partner and I looking to go away for 2 nights in July for our 10th anniversary.

We have 2 young kids and have only been away twice in 4 years each time at a hotel near us - I'm a parent who can't easily switch off!

At first we were thinking along the lines of The Royal Crescent Spa Hotel, Bath or Shangri-la Shard, London. Given either could stretch to around £2k we debated considering Europe as we saw some good deals.

I'd welcome your suggestions for a 2 night trip over a weekend. Fly out Fri afternoon and back Sun afternoon.

We're interested in:

- Quiet, secluded/romantic places. The kind where you can look yourself up in a hotel and nearby walks without feeling like your missing out on the sights of a bustling City.

- We enjoy good dining, long walks/hikes, emersing ourselves in nature.

We debated Munich (been before so would look at a tour to the castles for a day), a quirky hotel somewhere in the Swiss Alps (soak up the views for the weekend) or Amalfi coast (a bucket list destination but maybe a bit overcrowded for July).

My concern is can we do Europe in only 2 days and still feel like we've relaxed or on this occasion is it best to stay in UK?

We're not sure when our next holiday will be so we've sort of gone down rabbit holes of research and left a little confused!

Any places you've been or ideas you have would be very much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
514 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

I certainly would not travel far as you'd spend too much of your holiday traveling to and from your destination. With the Olympics in Paris during July, I'd avoid France which will be crawling with visitors and extra-expensive, which is a pity as there are some areas, such as Brittany or Normandy, that would meet your requirements.

Have you thought about Ireland? It's nearby and there are country house hotels, just as in the U.K, some quite posh.

I stayed at the Royal Crescent Hotel many years ago and enjoyed it; the room we had was exquisite with a canopy bed on a raised dais with a gate around it; I felt like the Queen of France!

Scotland is beautiful; we stayed in a rather eccentric country inn on the Isle of Skye for 3 nights quite some years ago and enjoyed the island. And if you want something remote, see if it would be difficult to get to Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands; it feels more Norwegian than British. We got there as part of a cruise, so did not have to expend any effort getting there.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,134 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

With only 48 Hours including Travel time, l wouldn't waste any of it on flights

Think of how long you have to sit in an Airport lounge ahead of time just waiting for your flight...

And the time it takes to get to the airport and the checkin area

And then the flight duration. And then travelling to your accommodation....

And then repeat the process in approx 1.5 days...

Find somewhere relatively close by, relax and spoil yourselves

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,134 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

Im not sure if its within budget, but this property, Chewton Glen is wonderfully romantic ..

They have Treetop suites, fabulous Food, many Amenities incl Spa and are situated on 130 Acres surrounded by the New Forest

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g503837-d188548-Reviews-Chewton_Glen_Hotel_Spa-New_Milton_New_Forest_National_Park_Hampshire_Hampshire_England.html

Edited: 12 June 2024, 09:43
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
84 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

What about staying in a castle for the weekend? I have never done that before, but it's on my bucket list. I think it would be a fun anniversary treat. The UK has many options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
67 helpful votes
5. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

Thanks all.

I think in our hearts we knew travelling abroad would be tight, but wanted to continue anyway, so I'm grateful for the reminder!

Fantastic suggestions about Royal Crescent and castles - I think that would mark our anniversary quite well.

Chewton Glen is definitely on my bucket list but sadly on this occasion it's just out of budget. What a beautiful place though!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
84 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?

LeeshSmalls -

If you are able, we'd love for you to report back to the forum to hear what you decided on.

Happy Anniversary!

Reply to: Short 2 day break for Anniversary UK or EU?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.