We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

Hi!

My husband and I are celebrating our 5 yr anniv this May and want to celebrate with a trip to either Mexico or the Carribean. We celebrated our honeymoon in Kauai and fell in love with the island, but have recently been back and we'd like to explore other areas such as either Mexico or the Carribean. We like to have some sense of adventure, neither one of us are big on just drinking and lounging every day by the pool. I'd like some sort of water sport (surf, kayak, paddle boarding) and hiking if possible. We'd also like somewhere with decent food. We've looked into AI's for these regions and got inundated with results and even more so by customer reviews. We've looked at staying at Secrets, but after reading through the reviews we're a bit hesitant to book, since neither one of us have ever stayed at an AI. And we're not food snobs, we just want good food and service. And we're not tied into staying at an AI either..

We don't like beaches that are like Waikiki, somewhat beautiful, but crowds everywhere and not an "island" feel at all. If anyone can give us recommendations on where to go and stay we'd be much obliged!

Where we've considered:

Cabo, Riveria Maya/Cancun, Dominican Republic, St. Martin,

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,854 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

When do you plan to go?

As another Kauai lover, check out Isla Mujeres . . . a cute little island right off the coast of Cancun for a Mexican vacation. I would NOT go AI - food is too good on the island and with lodging, there is something for everyone - from super budget to very expensive. The locals are great - and you can also do short day trips for snorkeling - like to Isla Contoy (nat'l Park) or to some of the amazing Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza. Nothing like Kauai though - but just another place we have found we love.

I haven't been to the Caribbean - some day . . . St John & St Lucia as well as Bonaire are high on my list of places to see. Good luck! :)

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

If you want a little more adventure I would look into Puerto Rico. Historic sites, swim with dolphins, great beaches, rent a jeep and go to the mountains.

A little less adventure Aruba is an option. Could spend 2 days in a jeep offroading on the far end of the island.

South of Cancun is another option, Cozumel is a great 1-2 day trip. There is also Chichen Itza and Tulum to explore. South of Cancun does have a lot of AI's though.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

St. Martin is a lot of fun....rent a car and explore the island and find a nice quiet beach.....Dawn Beach is beautiful and quiet....there are many others on the island, some are very crowded, and some less so.....the Riviera Maya, as previously mentioned also a good spot.....check the reviews of the Iberostar Grand Hotel....part of a complex, but on its own ...its section of the beach is relaxed and peaceful and the service at the hotel is second to none.......the DR ......my experience is Punta Cana area a few times....nice hotels, but crowded beaches....Jamaica.......some beaches are definitely nicer than others....7 mile in Negril is nice, but the over aggressive local population, constantly harassing tourists to buy everything you could imagine and more makes this island less than desirable for a romantic vacation.....unless you stay at an all inclusive and don't venture off the resort grounds....

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

St. John is awesome. Contact Catherine @ House of Open Arms you'll love it & her! She has a Villa & a cottage. And be sure to take a day trip from St. Thomas to Yost Van Dyke on the Kekoa! Id like to do that trip again! Skinny Legs is a locals hangout & you've got to get Pizza from the Donkey Diner! Enjoy!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

Stayed at both Breezes in Nassau and Palace resorts in Cancun both AI. In addition, you may want to consider a cruise. Review their web sites for specifics. Happy travels!

Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

I would highly suggest Sandals Grande St Lucian. St Lucia is the Hawaii of the Caribbean, Gorgeous with lots of activities to offer. Hiking, climbing, sailing, exploring, zip lines etc. The resort itself is on a beautiful beach and offers all of the water sports you mentioned for free. Good food and drink; and exchange with the other 2 Sandals in St Lucia for even more food and play options. I just returned and actually posted a review on the resort and climbing the Pitons. Have been multiple times, to all of the Sandals and Calabash Cove (beautiful but much too quiet for what you want). Not as touristy as Cancun, Aruba, Bahamas.

7. Re: Anniv vacation ideas - Mexico and Carribean Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 01:17
Get answers to your questions