We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel sickness bands...do they work?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
488 posts
37 reviews
66 helpful votes
Travel sickness bands...do they work?

We're off to the Dom Rep next year and we do travel a lot but this holiday involves a 3.5 hour coach transfer followed by a 10 min boat ride (staying on Cayo Levantado island in Samana).

My Hubby is fine during flights but isn't a big fan of long road trips, or boats! He normally takes travel sickness tablets which either knock him out for a few hours or have him bouncing off the walls so I've been looking at other options...the sickness bands look good but i have no idea if they really work. Has anyone used them or got any other suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
99,915 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

They work if the person wearing one believes that it works.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
30 reviews
42 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

Its based on magnetic acupressure and the targetting of pressure points and yes Nick they do actually work on sceptics too.

Leeds
14 posts
3. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

Hi,

I've heard they work pretty well actually, wish I'd had some on the boat trip from Marmaris to Rhodes...only just managed not to lose my breakfast!

I think they'd be a good alternative to medication as this can sometimes leave you feeling a bit drowsy.

Let me know how you get on if you do decide to try them :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,995 posts
239 reviews
158 helpful votes
4. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

My MIL uses them, and she can only sit on a train if she is facing the way it is moving. She also can't ride in the back seat of a car, and has a difficult time in boats.

She claims they help. Not a silver bullet mind you, but it does help her.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
99,915 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

"magnetic acupressure" is entirely in the mind of the wearer. This is pseudo science, and total tosh.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
609 posts
4 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

I tried these and they didn't work for me at all. If you want to try something a little less medicinal and non-sedating, try ginger pills. At least in the literature, they are proven to have "some" effect against nausea. I find that they work against mild nausea/seasickness/motion sickness but if it is really rough, have to resort to the typical meds such as gravol, bonamine, dramamine etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
30 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

Nick its worked for the chinese for several thousand years ! I use accupressure on my spine and have managed to avoid major surgery thus far.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
488 posts
37 reviews
66 helpful votes
8. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

Pretty mixed reviews there! I guess if they work purely as placebo's for some people then it can't be a bad thing...might pick up a few and give them a whirl.

I do work near a herbal store actually and I had heard that ginger is good for nausea so I might pop in there and see what they suggest.

Fingers crossed we find a solution...it's for his 40th birthday so I don't want him feeling sick after a full day travelling.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,381 posts
73 reviews
148 helpful votes
9. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

So, I get seasick snorkeling... The bands definitely work for me and I doubt it's psychological. I have to take 2 Bonine to get on a plane, on a boat. I can deal with car or bus trips as long as I dont attempt to read or look at the person in the seat next to me if I talk to them.

2 Bonines and the bands worked on the ferry from Galway to the Aran Islands where the sea was so rough the huge ferry was bobbing around like a tiny boat. And, I was fine! Now, I use the bands for every bus trip and can watch a movie on my laptop or talk.

I know for a fact that acupuncture works. I am a strong believer in pills but when 4 different pills dont work for a condition and 1 acupuncture session does - it isn't purely psychological.

Even in overpriced Ireland, the bands were all of $15. Here they're half the price. A small price to pay if they work, whichever way they work.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 03 October 2013, 15:10
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
32 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: Travel sickness bands...do they work?

An update on ginger... During our last cruise one of my friends got sea sick and tablets and bands didn't work but she was given some ginger chewing gum... It made a big difference