We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Topic
Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Hey folks,

For the past month I've been immersed every day in excitedly planning my 31-day road trip out West from Asheville, North Carolina in September 2012. With all the researching I've done and videos/photos I've seen, I keep pondering this question: What will be the top five most spectacular, dramatic, awe-inspiring, unforgettable individual sites I'll encounter? Since most of you have been to some, many, or all of these places and I've never seen any of them, I was curious what your answer would be, as hard a question as this is.

Here are the major stops on my trip, and, since there are obviously countless jaw-dropping sites at each of these places, I've included the major attractions I plan to see, and not see:

*St. Louis (Gateway Arch)

*The drive from Fort Collins, CO to Teton Village, WY

*Grand Teton National Park (Jenny Lake Trail/Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point, Schwabacher Landing. No big long hikes into the back country)

*Yellowstone National Park (Canyon/Lower Falls/Uncle Tom Trail, Tower Falls, Yellowstone Lake, Old Faithful and surrounding geyser basins, Madison area)

*The drive from Yellowstone to Hood River, OR

*Columbia River Gorge/Portland area (Multnemah Falls, Scenic Drive/surrounding waterfalls, Silver Falls State Park, Punchbowl Falls)

*Oregon coast drive from Tillamook to Crescent City, CA

*The redwoods (Avenue of the Giants)

*California coast drive from Fort Bragg to San Fran

*San Fran (Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods and exploring the city)

*Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. in Chico, CA (The Holy Land of American craft brewing)

*The drive from Chico, CA to Springdale, UT

*Zion National Park (The Narrows hike - weather pending - as well as some of the other shorter hikes and some sightseeing. Won't be doing Angel's Landing).

*Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge (will venture a little ways into the canyon and do a couple other short hikes on the rim. Note: I'll be here in late September for fall colors)

*The drive from Grand Canyon to Bryce

*Bryce Canyon (Navajo/Queens Garden Loop and driving the canyon rim)

*The drive from Bryce to Moab

*Arches National Park (Delicate Arch and a few other shorter hikes)

*The drive from Moab to Boulder, CO

*Boulder, CO (Some running/hiking in Chautauqua Park, day trip to Estes Park/Bear Lake trails. Note: This will be first week of October).

For what it's worth, based on my research and interests/passions, here is my own top five of what I'm looking forward to most:

1. Lower Falls at Yellowstone (both from afar and up close via Artist Point view and Uncle Tom trail)

2. Grand Canyon view from the rim (with a beer in hand at the Lodge)

3. The Narrows at Zion

4. The Avenue of the Giants

5. Delicate Arch

It's a tough call. What are your picks?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

"...most spectacular, dramatic, awe-inspiring, unforgettable individual sites I'll encounter..."

I vote for gas at less than $3 per gallon.

THAT would be inspiring and jaw dropping.

Dr. Z

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

In Boulder, once I was dining in the evening on the upper terrace of Flagstaff House while there was a long lightning storm in the far distance; very memorable. The terrace of the Flagstaff is very unique, with the lights of Boulder and neighboring cities laid out like a carpet below Flagstaff Mountain. I wouldn't count on a lightning storm, however.

http://www.flagstaffhouse.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Here is a bit of [true] trivia for you . . . Portland Oregon has more microbreweries than any other city in the world!

I do hope you won't be disappointed by the Avenue of the Giants. I far prefer Howland Hill Road in Crescent City. "The redwoods" stretch for about 40 miles along the northern Calif coast. Newton Drury parkway is as good as Ave/Giants, IMO.

The Calif coastline from about Rockport to San Francisco ranks as one of the world's most beautiful drives and deservedly so :-)

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

For us its got to be Yellowstone, its fantastic on the eye, but the wildlife makes it my favourite place in the US.

For a drive, on your list I'd take Moab to Boulder, via the 128 and I70. For an interstate/major highway its got to rank as one of the most secenic main routes in the world, good as anything in Switzerland.

Lastly, in sort of the same vein as Dr Z. I'll be gobsmacked if someone doesn't respond that it's far too far to drive in 31 days and you should just stay in St Louis! ;-)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Too far to drive in 31 days says the man who wants to drive from Las Vegas to Big Bend in one day hahaha. (or between Lassen and Columbia Gorge ;)

Your question is too tough for me Mtnwriter..... but I sure would add Arches NP to that list and not only Delicate Arch. Avenue of the Giants is very nice but would not be in my top 5.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Tet.

Tongue was firmly in my cheek on that one :P . Vegas to BB will be two days, 800 miles a day is our limit!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

I know, I know. 800 miles is a piece of cake and you'll have time enough to explore on your way . Hope we can expect a tripreport. And if you like we also can tell you how the weather is next year ;)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
899 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Got to be Yellowstone for me too (for the wildlife).

I'm hoping for our third visit there next year.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Wow, what a great trip. So many excellent destinations. I have not been to all on your list, but several. Arches, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Zion are all at the top (note that this list was alphabetical...all are amazing in their own distinct ways). San Francisco is probably my favorite city; love the views of the bridge from Chrissy Field and Fort Point.

As for Angels Landing at Zion, I could not do the last quarter mile to AL, but the hike to Scouts Lookout was excellent and you get fantastic views for Scouts Lookout. Then you can hike a bit of the West Rim Trial (instead of going ot Angels Landing).

Viewing the Grand Canyon, beer in hand....I like the way you think!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun poll ... cast your vote!

Having only visited perhaps about 60% of the places on your list, I don't feel I'm in any position to vote or agree with your top 5. However, I'd agree with the full list in principal in as much as several of the places of that yet to be visited 40% are on our hit list for the August/September assault of the USA we have planned!

My beer in hand moment was sunset at delicate arch - it was accidental, left over from the lunchtime picnic elsewhere and only discovered when I was hunting in the day pack for the camera lens cloth!

How are you going to find time to do get round all the listed places in 31 days and also do all the hikes? Some trip!

Enjoy, SWT