We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

I am thinking of travelling Winnipeg to Yellowstone leaving Winnipeg on July 31st. Anyone ever travel this route before? Where are the best places to stop for the night? Also, how long does it take to go thru the park and how are the highways? I only have 8 days to do this trip.

Thanks

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

We have not made that journey but have visited Yellowstone frequently. Assuming 8 days equals 7 nights then I'd suggest you allow at least 4 nights for Yellowstone and you really out to give Grand Teton a visit when you are there so allow one night say inJackson Wyoming for that.

That gives you two nights on the road. Assuming you take the I29, I94 route

then somewher like Dickinson ND or Glendive MO might be a sensible stop.

I assume you have not booked accommodation in the park, you may be

lucky and get a cancellation but likely, you will need to look at Gardiner or West

Yellowstone.

Roads in the park are pretty good but

traffic volume and bear or bison jams will slow you up.

Suggest you post on the Yellowstone forum when you have settled on the number of nights and the DEs, Pam, TetonBill etc. Will help you sort a plan.

The

Edited: 24 July 2011, 14:27
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Hope that makes sense, my IPod is misbehaving:-(

Edited: 24 July 2011, 14:30
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

The Yellowstone forum is under Wyoming.

Any of the state forums (N Dak, MT) will have people to assist with that section.

There was someone else who got cheap seats to Winnipeg this year -- review the recent forum listings or search Winnipeg. It certainly is a non-traditional (and to be honest, less desirable) jumping off point for YNP.

Are you talking this July 31, in a few days? It will be almost impossible to find rooms in the park or in West Yellowstone. Gardiner, Chico Hot Springs, Red Lodge and Cody may have availability.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Hi

Best place to stay overnight on this trip from Winnepeg is Medora ND imo. It has ample lodging and is at the entrance of Th Roosevelt NP. Think you'll need a reservation that time of year because of the Medora Musical. That's in a lovely outside theater but we have not been to the musical because we visited in september.

Next day you easily can make it to Gardiner or even to West Yellowstone. Also Gardiner is not bad for a stay and next day you can start visiting Upper Loop and maybe stay West Yellowstone if you can't find lodging inside the NP. It's most on interstates to Yellowstone. Driving in the NP is good but can be very slow at places and for good reasons because of the wildlife on the road.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,779 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Silverfox.

Tets idea of taking in Th Roosevelt NP is a good one, really like that park. I was hesitant of suggesting it as you have two eight hour driving days, but if you make an early start it would be a nice end to the first day or on the way back?

Oh and I really didn't mean to suggest you headed for Missouri!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

I agree with Tet about Medora. Go to the show! Also look fir giant roadside animal sculptures in N Dak. (see recent thread called "North Dakota - Our Last State").

I disagree with him about Gardiner, though. I'd recommend either Cody (by way of Custer Battlefield, if interested), or Red Lodge and the Beartooth Highway. From the summit, you can take Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, or go straight into the park heading toward Mammoth.

Work on hotel or campground reservations Now - this is the height of the season. Also true for next year already - it is not hospitable to seat of the pants planning.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 14:22
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Advice based on lodging availabilities in Gardiner and West Yellowstone. Another option is to drive via Red Lodge, over Beartooth pass to Cooke City and next day via Lamar Valley into Yell if no lodging inside the NP anymore.OP has to check this first of course. OP can drive via Cody on the way back.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

Well, if you bag Cody, Red Lodge and the Beartooth Highway on the way in, you can leave by West Yellowstone. Then you could return to Winnipeg via Great Falls or another route.

Keep in mind that all the state highways in Montana are great roads. You do not need to be on the interstate, even though it is the widest line on the map. These are used by locals to carry out their lives every day, and you will find many interesting things out on these roads. Fort Benton has a lot of interesting history, and Lewistown is a nice little town with some seriously great fishing (and sapphire hunting, but you don't have time for that).

9. Re: Travelling Winnipeg Manitoba to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 09:16