We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

MK
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Hey!

My husband and I are having our honey moon this year.. Were flying into San Fran on December 20th and have 9 days road trip before we arrive in Vegas for NYE.

Please can anyone advise of a route? Sites? Good quality hotels? Must SEE? Where should we spend Xmas day/Xmas eve? Any cosy lodges? We have two nights booked at the Manderin Oriental in San Fran and for Las Vegas. We have booked nothing in bewteen and would love some advice to make it a trip of a lifetime! Love outdoors/indoors/activities/good food/

ANY TIPS FOR NYE IN VEGAS ALSO APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!

Michelle xxx

Edited: 08 August 2013, 10:15
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

At that time of year your options are limited as going to Yosemite and via Tioga Pass to Las Vegas is not an option as the road will be closed due to snow.

You could consider a drive down the coast to LA (best down over 2 or 3 days) and then heading over to Las Vegas. The other main route would be to head to Yosemite for a couple of days but you might have snow before heading down to Barstow and over to Las Vegas but in my view that's not as scenic as the coast drive.

You could combine both options by visiting Yosemite before heading back to the coast for the drive to LA etc.

Make sure you don't pick up the rental car until you are ready to leave SF as parking will be expensive and a car in SF is not essential.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

I meant to add that NYE in Las Vegas will be very busy with the strip closed to traffic, nightclubs will be very expensive and restaurant reservations are highly recommended - getting around the strip on foot is possible but it will be crowded and I would probably settle for enjoying the luxury of the Mandarin in LV.

3. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:44
Edited: 08 August 2013, 10:44
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,499 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

What dates have you booked in Vegas? You say nine days RT but does that include the days in SF, so you get to Vegas on the 29th or on NYE?

If you arrive in Vegas on the 31st then this works.

3 nights SF.

2 nights Yosemite.

2 nights Hwy 1 Big Sur, Monterey and Cambria, or Pismo Beach or Morro Bay or....

2 nights LA.

1 night Kingman.

1 night Grand Canyon.

Back west to Vegas on 31st, but if its the 29th then no GCNP.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 10:49
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Hi Michelle

Congrats on the honeymoon!

Lots of options already posted.

Valiant's route in post 4 does give you a shot at seeing an awful lot of stuff in that area, but it also includes a fair bit of driving, and I notice he's not got the number of nights in SF or LV quite right. You may want to shorten the route by skipping the Grand Canyon or Yosemite.

Why I dare to suggest you consider skipping Yosemite is because of snow risk. You cannot drive the Tioga Road in any case, and you might not be able to drive within the park itself if there's snow and chains are mandatory either if your rental car forbids chains which many do. If you decide you wish to visit Yosemite in December, please may I suggest you pop over to the Yosemite park forum and ask questions there, and read the info in the Top Qs regarding winter visits and the conditions you are likely to encounter there.

My best tip for NYE in Vegas is to ask on the LV forum. I would never dream of being there then, but there will be lots happening to suit all ages, types, budgets, etc. There will even be a meet up of Trip Advisor LV regulars, who could certainly show you a good time and make sure it's a honeymoon you won't forget!

Most of your questions centre around accommodation recommendations. This isn't necessarily the best forum for that, the actual destinations are better, certainly if you plan to stay in LA, then you would probably want to ask on that forum for advice.

By my reckoning, if you follow Valiant's (corrected!) route, you'd be in Pismo Beach/Morro Bay area for Xmas day. This would be pretty quiet, but you can certainly find some charming, nay pricey, places to stay, If you want somewhere a little livelier for Xmas day itself, consider San Luis Obispo, and then consider the Madonna Inn for where to stay. That kind of place is bound to lay on something special for Xmas!

However, if you're prepared to sacrific some stops and time on the road, I'd say you're short changing San Francisco. If you've never been, you might want another night there as 2 nights, as most flights from the UK arrive in the evening, only gives you 1 fill day in that fun city.

SWT

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,499 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Hi SWT.

Doh......missed the two nights in SF.....but as you point out its really not enough, and yes, Yosemite needs to be planned as a winter visit, maybe using YARTS, will be pretty if theres snow though!

MK
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Thank you so much x

MK
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

OK! So I have spent today booking! The finished route is.... (Thanks to your help!)

San Fran - 3 days

Montery

Pismo Beach

Santa Barbra

La/Sunset Blv

Long Beach

San Diego

Vegas NYE!!!

Any good suggestions for tours greatly appreciated!

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Sounds wonderful.

FWIW, Yosemite is wonderful in winter. For several years we vacationed at the Ahwahnee each year the week after NYE. Since moving to the east, I've frequently returned on day trips in January. It would be rare to be closed out by snow. It is true Tioga Pass is closed. While there is usually snow on the Valley floor, the snow simply adds to the romance.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip - San Fran/Vegas - NYE 2013/2014! Advice needed!

Oh, caveat, I forgot to consider. For visitors driving rental cars, there is a complication. Rental car companies usually prohibit use of chains. While, I’ve never had to use chains, it’s understood, even on the Mariposa route, they could become necessary.