We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual family holiday

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual family holiday

We are a family of 6 with 4 kids ranging in age from 23 - 12. We are looking for ideas for a different/unusual family holiday, possibly involving animals and or beach/snorkelling. Fairly tight budget but want to do something other than the standard Bali trip. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual family holiday

What time of year & how long do you have?

Thailand would be one option tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g293915-i3686-T…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual family holiday

Hi,

We recently returned from Penang. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lots of beach activities, night markets, cultural sites, shopping. Food was great and didn't have to worry about getting sick. There were also some bars about for the older kids.

Choose the right time and you will get a good deal at a 4 1/2 star hotel flying with Malaysian and Singapore Airlines.

happy travels

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual family holiday

Ever been to the Coral Bay/Exmouth area in WA?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual family holiday

Ever travelled to a working Dude ranch - ride horses, help with the animals, possibly wrangle up the sheep/cattle. They usually have some really neat theme nights, with cookouts, barbeques, music and dancing. Learn how to ride rodeo style. There are some that offer spas and wine tastings, but all offer a wonderful, and unique, family experience. Otherwise, given the ages of your kids, consider a working holiday. Try wildlife protection, for example, or study (counting and studying schools of whales, for example). Again, some pretty unique experiences and you can find one that suits your family. Try searching for volunteer vacations for families online. Good luck!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual family holiday

How about a holiday with community engagement? That would be a great experience for the children, and you'll be helping too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual family holiday

I would second the vote for Penang. We went there for Easter last year and my 3 kids thoroughly enjoyed it. We spent the first few days in KL. There's lots to do in KL for kids and teens. Great shopping, water parks, and lots of history and culture if that's your thing. We then went on to stay in Penang, we stayed at the Golden Sands, which we found to be quite reasonable. They do a family suite (which is really two standard rroms, but unlike many hotels you are guaranteed the connecting rooms if you book the family suite.) the beaches in Penang (like most in Asia) are not pristine. However the hotel's pool area is gorgeous and offers something for everyone. There's also plenty of water sports on offer at the beach - jet skis etc - if the kids like that. If you do go, take the the kids on the newly refurbished Furnicular Railway -doesn't take long, is inexpensive and is a unique experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual family holiday

Have you thought about Sth India - you can get flights with Air Asia and makes it affordable? We took our kids xmas 09/10 and we are now going back this xmas to the North. Sth India was easy, safe and lots of English spoken everywhere. We flew into Chennai, train to Mysore, farmstay Mudumalai National Park (wildlife/elephant spotting); car to Ooty (tea estates); train to Cochin; train to Alleppy (houseboats); train to Varkala (beach scene). Flights back with Air Asia Trivandrum.

Waterloo, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual family holiday

We (Husband, wife and a 3 year old) spent almost 3 weeks in Hawai'i in December 2011. We mostly stayed on the Big Island and we LOVED it. We have never been to Hawai'i before so we were pleasantly surprised by how NOT like the rest of NA it was. We snorkeled, swam with turtles and dolphins to our hearts content.

You say you are on a budget: Camping in Hawai'i is free or next to free. We only had to pay at 1 of the 3 places we camped - it was $12.00 a night. The amazing snorkeling and dolphin swims came with the place! If camping is not your thing, try airbnb for accommodations. There are lots of small farms that have rooms they rent to travelers. The farm where we stayed had sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks etc..... and the owners are quite keen on sharing what they know about self sufficient farming. Alternatively, you could also try wwoofing http://www.wwoof.org/.

I realize Hawai'i is not the first thing that comes to mind when you are looking for a "different" kind of a holiday, but we will definitely be back!

If you are keen, check out more of our thoughts (and photos) on Hawai'i at our blog

…blogspot.com/search/label/Hawai%27i

Cheers,

Mira

Edited: 17 April 2012, 05:16
9. Re: Unusual family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:15