We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

Oxshott, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

Please could you give me some advice - we are a family with two young girls (3&6) and we are looking to travel somewhere for the Easter 2014 break with my parents who are in their late 60s and early 70s. My parents haven't haven't travelled a lot so they are very much looking forward to going somewhere other than the Canary Islands etc, somewhere a bit more exotic but not completely on the wild side either.

I have looked at Thailand but will it rain a lot in April? And will Songkran will a bit intimidating for my three and six year olds (random people chucking water at us)? Happy to experience a different culture but as I am planning this holiday I don't want it to end up being uncomfortable for my parents or children..

We thought of flying to Bangkok for a couple of days and then going to a resort. I found a nice resort in Koh Chang but then I learned that malaria medication is recommended for that island so not keen on that. Nice resorts in Koh Samui? We are looking at 3 or 4 star resorts that cater for children, have a beach location, international and local food and spa facilities.

Or have I got it wrong, maybe Thailand is not the right place for us in April? Is so, any other suggestions?

I would be grateful for your help!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

MrsH, you can get all the information about the weather and festivals from the Thailand destination forum. There is also a seperate forum for Koh Samui.

I have been to Koh Samui and it is a wonderful destination for families. I stayed in a hotel called the Centara Grand beach resort, which is part of the Centara chain. Excellent hotel overlooking a lovely beach, and pools for adults and children.However, many famlies rent villa's, which provide extra space and may work out cheaper.

Would your children and parents want such a long flight? Although the connecting flight to Koh Samui is only an hour long, the flight from the UK is (from memory) about 12 hours.

For destinations a bit closer to hand, I'd suggest Turkey, especially the area's around Kas, Kalkan, Gumbet and Faralya. Or the Dalmation Coast and the area around Dubrovnik.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

I wonder if your family would enjoy Greece, or if they've had enough of islands altogether.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,438 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

Greece is a good holiday place.................the island of Rhodes is lovely.....beaches, nightlife, great dining and historical sites..........the ancient walled city is fascinating, and the Valley of the Butterflies makes a lovely trip, as does the Acropolis of Lindo at one end of the island...............

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,438 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

If Rhodes is of interest to you, or even Greece in general, all you need do is click on the blue links contained within this post to access both the Trip Advisor Travel Pages and the destination forums if you have specific questions.................

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
476 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

I'm curious. Have you decided on a destination?

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

If you think of Greece, think also of Corfu, an island very well knowned for its wonderful Eastern celebrations.You could check Ryanair or Easy jet for direct flights.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

I love traveling in Thailand, but am not quick to encourage a trip during Songkran with young kids. On one hand, if you are at a resort and can "retreat" there if needed, it is probably not an issue. If traveling between 12-16APR, expect crowded roads and public transportation. We have been the past couple of years over Songkran, but get to my in-laws before peak travel and remain until after. My son is not at all thrilled with the Songkran experience, and it is challenging to avoid. It wil be well intended, but if you think your kids may be overwhelmed, then I suggest avoiding Thailand over Songkran. Other than staying inside your hotel or resort, or on private property, it is almost impossible to avoid being drenched.

Other than Songkran, I see no reason to rule out Thailand. It is a long flight, and you are in the best position to know if that is a good choice for you and your family. We regularly travel long haul with our 9 year old and have no issues, but not every child is the same.

We just made a family trip to Turkey. I found it reasonably priced and it offered ahuge variety of things to do.

San Pedro, Belize...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

Have you considered Belize, Central America? we're a british commonwealth, so travel is easy. we're english speaking, so everyone is comfortable, and we've got plenty of culture, mayan ruins, and water activities to make anyone's vacation just enough exotic and just enough comfortable.

I also did a blog about family vacations in belize you might find useful. let me know if i can help you plan your trip!

Lara

romantictravelbelize.com/romantic-travel-bel…

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

Jersey Channel Islands of course

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for family travel destination - Easter break Apr2014?

I think Thailand would be fantastic for a family holiday with you daughters and parents. April is got but you get great weather. We travel to Thailand twice a year and would highly recommend it. A great hotel we have stayed at a number of times is Indigo Pearl which is in the north of Phuket Island. It's on a really quiet beach with lots of great eating places along the waterfront. It's very local and friendly and the resort is amazing. 3 different pools, great facilities all round. We have stayed there 3 times and would go back in a heart beat. I recommended friends with 2 teenagers and both sets of parents and some extended family to stay there and they raved about it and said they had a fantastic time. Indigo Pearl is also 5 minutes from Phuket airport and you can fly direct to Phuket from Singapore, otherwise Bangkok is great for a few days as well. We stayed at Indigo pearl over Easter a few years ago and it was great they also put in extra activities for the kids like Easter egg hunts and special menus which I think adds to the feel of the place. This April we have chosen to go to Koh Samui so that could also be an option for you. With children I recommend the Anantara Boohut and the Melati we have stayed at both of these and they are great. Songkran is also fun we have been there every year for this celebration. Our favourite was at Indigo Pearl as it was a light hearted water festival feel around the place so you could adventure out of the hotel for a little taste of the craziness but the. Retreat back to the large grounds of the Indigo Pearl and relax. Good luck with your holiday planning hope some of my advice helps. :)