We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing

Shah Alam, Malaysia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing

We were aware that high season for kitesurfing is from Nov until March though we hoped for some good wind conditions in May. We were not lucky and hence spent three days in Mui Ne. In general, the kiteboarding conditions are quite challenging for beginners as wind is onshore and the water is rather deep. Hence, if one's not able going upwind right from the beginning multiple lessons might be required which can be quite expensive.

The city of Mui Ne was mostly quiet and besides the beach and food and drinks at night Mui Ne does not offer a lot. If you can choose we definitely recommend to skip Mui Ne and spend more time in other places such as Hoi An. The sea and beaches are much nicer with less waste and in the afternoon and evening the pretty city provides various things to do.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
3 replies to this topic
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing

You travelled, with prior knowledge, out of the season for things you wanted to do. Why then do you want to give a bad review of a place? Beach, food and drinks at night are an attraction to a lot of people, if not you, your bad. Personally, I found Mui Ne and the surrounding area very pleasant.

Greg

Edited: 25 May 2018, 07:08
Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing

Agree with sgtgwh. And if you are living in Saigon, I think Ho Tram is the great place as well, it's calm, quiet and the resorts are not only very comfortable but have beautiful and green landscape beside a blue clean beach

Mentioned in this post
Ho Tram
Ho Tram
Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,987 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing

"beside a blue clean beach" The sand is not blue and neither is the East Sea. It's green and I don't care where along the Vietnamese coast you are there will be garbage in the water. It is the single most important failing of Vietnam-the lack of a garbage strategy and little education on the subject of bad practices by the local people.

The single biggest bad comment I get on Vietnam is the garbage everywhere you go. It seems the locals don't notice or worry about it, but they should as it will bring their tourism industry to it's knees. There are plenty of other places to go where this has been realised and those places will take all the Chinese Tourists that Vietnam is banking on.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: not worth a trip if not for kitesurfing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted