We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day long trek/hike/run

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
One day long trek/hike/run

Hi,

am in Mui Ne for the Chinese New Year week, and will be looking to do some running to keep in shape. Is it also possible to do a big one day trek in an interesting area around Mui Ne? Preferably around 30k to 40k with hopefully some good climbs and some change of scenery once in a while (ie not 40k up and down sand dunes....).

any ideas/suggestions/online sources?

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

I'd be wary of dogs. Mui Ne is not the best for running/trekking as it is really 2 main stretches of highway. Perhaps if you went in to Phan Thiet you may be able to run the coast road to Ke Ga.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

HKTrailrunner,

Actually, the road between the red sand dunes and the white sand dunes is a very nice road for a long run. The distance between the two is 25 kilometers. Over tet, the resorts around Hon Rom will be packed with buses chock-a-bloc from one resort to the next. However, if you can get a ride to the corner where the highway takes a sharp left turn, then the road from there to the white dunes (and beyond) is a beautiful road with very little traffic, some small hills and some nice views of the ocean and Suoi Nuoc Beach. If you are staying in Ham Tien rather than Mui Ne itself, you will have to take a vehicle to the red dunes or to Hon Rom. But if you are staying at one of the resorts actually in Mui Ne ward (Mui Ne Bay Resort, Malibu Resort, Pandanus Resort, or Full Moon Village Resort) then you really can start from your resort and run north.

Save Reply
3. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I don`t mind to travel to where ever I need to start, so that road between the dunes might be an option. However, I was more looking for something on a trail, through woods and/or up a mountain. I read there is a mountain not to far away (with a Buddha?) so I thought that might be an option. I do road running for training, but enjoy more on trails/up and down mountains if possible.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

That mountain is some ways from where you are staying, you would need to hire someone to take you. That is why I did (motor cycle taxi).

The trek up all those stairs certainly did me a lot of good. I did it twice for good measure.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

If you want to trek up Taku Mountain, you can. It is about 30 minutes out of Phan Thiet. Most people take the tram, then just hike the last 300 steps to the Buddha, but you can walk up from the road if you wish.

6. Re: One day long trek/hike/run

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 05:26