We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November beach holidays/wind?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
88 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
November beach holidays/wind?

Hello,

I'm planning a quite likely trip to Vietnam the first two weeks of November. What we've in mind is more or less 1 week discovering the country (well, part of it), and a week of relaxing beach holidays. I considered Phu Quoc, but if I could avoid having to take another flight I'd be happy (even if it's not much longer than a taxi from HCM to Mui Ne). It seems that as the beaches wouldn't be great in the north, and bad weather in the central part, Mui Ne might be a good option.

I've a few questions about it however:

- Can you please confirm that we should have mostly good weather there in early november? I know it's a bit random and can change, but a tendency.

- More important, I read it's very windy. We won't do thinks like kite surf etc, but would rather enjoy some restful days on the beach. Bad idea there? Or are there part of the Mui Ne area which are more protected from the winds?

- In that area, an hotel I liked is the Princess D'Am Nam, in Ke Ga Bay. However, it looks a bit far from everything, do you know if we could still (and for reasonable taxi fares) go eat/have drinks in local restaurants or bars? I'd rather have other options than only the hotel.

Thanks in advance!

Rémy

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Japan
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Mui Ne, My Khe or Phu Quoc are all quite ok in November.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Mui Ne has a dirty beach unless you are staying at one of the high end resorts. I've stayed in Ke Ga and saw oil in the ocean! Phu Quoc is much better, and if its not raining in November then it is better to go there. Or go to Con Dao :)

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Con Dao Islands
Con Dao Islands
Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
88 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Well, if we go there, it would be in a hugh end hotel anyway.

But I'm worried about the wind.

Staying in the north for the "beach" part of the holidays isn't really possible right?

Level Contributor
934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Well I am in Mui Ne now, well technically its Ham Thien, I have also been to Quy Nhon, if it's your first time, come to Ham Tien, stay somewhere in the busy strip for ease, I have walked up and down the beach and swam in it, it is actually quite clean. Where I am Hiep Hoa Family Resort it has a beach, further up the beach disappears due to erosion, that being said you will spend time on a beach chair overlooking the beach not actually on it. Don't worry about the wind as the resorts are quite protected and you will welcome the wind believe you me. There is a massive range of accommodation from $20- $500 so pick your budget. If you stay across the road instead of on the beach side it can be cheaper, most resorts have pools, and you can still go to places on the beach if you wish. Stevemuine is on here and is a bit of an expert.

Edited: 02 October 2016, 03:50
Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Quy Nhon
Quy Nhon
Binh Dinh Province, Vietnam
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
88 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Well, budget would be like 150-200$ i think, and for something on the beach, not actress the road.

6. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2018, 16:30
Level Contributor
934 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Coco Beach looked nice, at that budget there are plenty.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

We will be at Coco Beach in November! I think you would like it. Alternate options are Mia or Aria

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

Remy,

In November, the northern part of the country will have begun to get a little chilly in the evening. However, it is still quite warm during the day.

Although it is true that the beaches all over Vietnam, including those in Phu Quoc, are quite dirty, if you are staying in a high end hotel like the Princess d'Annam, the beach around the resort is kept quite clean. The comment about hotels in Nha Trang having their own beaches above is quite curious, as most of the resorts and hotels there are across the road from the beach and through a beachfront park, similar to Copacabana Beach in Rio. However, there are a couple of high end resorts away from the city center that do have their own beaches.

In November, the weather in Phan Thiet is changing. The wind will have just started to blow, so you may or may not have much wind. It is also the end of the rainy season, so even if you do get rain, it should not be too much. Phu Quoc island, however, gets a lot of rain in November, as it is quite a bit further south.

There is not much around the Princess d'Annam, however, it is a beautiful resort and the most luxurious resort in the Phan Thiet area. The manager is a very nice guy and I'm sure that he would be able to recommend some restaurants a short taxi ride away.

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November beach holidays/wind?

The thing about the wind is that it usually doesn't get up to the uncomfortable stage until late morning. There is a reason for the wind and that is to cool the land down and when it does rise as Brent says you will welcome it. I don't consider the coastline around Ke Ga to be very good as it is a very open stretch of beach.

As to private beaches, there is no such thing. Whilst hotels may tell you that the beach is private it is in fact public. This private nonsense has come about from people just coming to the beach and using the loungers on the beach. These are private property and you can only use these with the Hotel's permission, but nothing can stop you from just laying down your towel anywhere along the strip.

Most businesses along the strip at Ham Tien welcome people crossing through their businesses as it is good business. There are however some places that guard their entrances which is simply poor practice.

As to the weather Steve is correct and in the Mui Ne area you should enjoy fine and hot weather as the whole area sits on the edge of the Binh Thuan desert.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam