We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kinosaki onsen with kids

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Kinosaki onsen with kids

Hi all,i'm looking forward to visiting Kinosaki onsen with my family. I have 2 young boys (5 & 7yo), what is the etiquette for experiencing onsen with young children? Should i taken them w me to the ladies side or they must go w my husband to the men's side?

Is onsen safe for little kids?

Are there other kids friendly activities that we musn't miss or the kids can do while we are "onsening"?

Finally, any recommendation for a kids friendly ryokan in Kinosaki central?

Thanks in advance.

J

4 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Kinosaki onsen with kids

It depends on the onsen place; some place an age restriction whereas others have a height marker to show up to which height could kids enter. (It's more about adult customers being embarrassed or worrying about misplaced claims made than "safety" for kids).

In general, boys grown as much as 5 or 7 should go to the men's side.

There are different onsen types but most care about safety for smaller kids and the elderly so the pools won't be deep (sit down and adults' shoulders would be out of the water), but some pools can be deep or with bubble jet so there's usually a notification to parents that kids should not enter without parents but they are in Japanese. That's the only sort of thing you should care about.

There aren't any kids un-friendly ryokans.

Edited: 11 March 2016, 00:37
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Kinosaki onsen with kids

You can figure things how things are here: https://goo.gl/kpd9Mx

Or here: https://goo.gl/PhPFl4

Edited: 11 March 2016, 00:42
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
3. Re: Kinosaki onsen with kids

Did you end up going to Kinosaki with you boys? We are planning a trip there this winter. Were you able to find kid friendly accommodations?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Kinosaki onsen with kids

I really don't understand what "kid friendly accommodation" is because almost all ryokans accept guests with kids. Few high end ryokans have the 18 and older policy but I don't think there is such a ryokan in Kinosaki.

Reply to: Kinosaki onsen with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Toyooka