We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
274 reviews
97 helpful votes
Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

Looking for a scenic driving route. Leaving Halifax on 24th August to drive to Brier Island to watch whales on the 25th August. Then on to Lunenburg!! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16,896 posts
185 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

There are not too many ways to avoid the 101 which is the main highway but through much of the Annapolis Valley it is not a throughway.

When I put this in google maps and said to avoid highways this is what it came up with:

http://goo.gl/maps/jbGbo

I hope others more familiar with the area can help.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
2. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

If you turn off 101 at Grande Pre ( I think Exit 10) you can then take the old #1

with a few jigs all the way to Annapolis Royal and then through Smith's Cove ( You may have to get on 101 for short time nr Digby) then on to turn off for Brier Isalnd.

Except for New Minas which can be busy with traffic most of the small towns are no problem . If you look at the map you can also take jigs up to Coast to say Morden or Parkers Cove, unfortunately you have to come back to highway there isn't a coast rd.

Hope that helps, not more confusing!!! lol

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
274 reviews
97 helpful votes
3. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

Thank you so much. Long drive but it will help to see the beautiful scenery......now I only hope our whale watching is successful!!

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
274 reviews
97 helpful votes
4. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

Thank you. Your information has been so helpful. We are really looking forward to our trip. Hopefully the weather will be good and we will see whales!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16,896 posts
185 reviews
89 helpful votes
5. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

You may be better sticking to the main road (which is not four lane divided for much of it). You could drop into Wolfville, take a short detour into the Gaspereau area to see the wineries, or take a quick peek at pretty Annapolis Royal.

You will have to judge according to time.

New Minas, Canada
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
23 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

I also suggest to take exit 10 to Grand Pre & visit that area.

Take a short drive to Evangeline Beach & you might have a chance to see large flocks of sandpipers if the tide is coming in. They stop there to feed on their migration south; amazing to watch as they are flying low over the water.

Continue through Wolfville, which is a lovely small university town. You might want to stretch your legs by a short walk on the dykes accessed from the Waterfront Park. The tourist bureau is located on the left as you are coming into town; a good place to get directions & further information.

Then get back on Rte 101 at the other end of town. I find the drive from there to Bridgetown (exit 20) scenic with much farm land. From Bridgetown continue on Rte 1 to Annapolis Royal which is a beautiful historic town & a good place for another leg stretcher.

Stay on Rte 1 when you leave Annapolis Royal & it joins with Rte 101 a short distance before Digby. Then from Digby you will be taking Rte 217 down Digby Neck to catch the ferries to Brier Island.

I'd allow a good 3 hrs to drive from Halifax to Digby plus time for meals & sightseeing. Then aprox 2 hrs from Digby to Brier Island. So a leisurely full day to reach Brier Island. I always believe that a vacation should be "taking time to smell the roses"

Canada
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
27 reviews
137 helpful votes
7. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I know the scenery will not disappoint. Please let me know how your whale watching goes as I won't be able to get there myself this summer.

Lots of Farmers Markets along your drive for snacks, fruits and ice cream.

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
274 reviews
97 helpful votes
8. Re: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Save

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are looking so forward to this trip in particular Eastern Canada. I plan on taking a lot of pictures. We have heard that the people in Eastern Canada are so warm and friendly and we want to experience that and more. I will drop you a note when we return....maybe I can post a message to this forum somehow.

Best regards,

Roz

Reply to: Scenic driving route from Halifax to Westport Brier island N
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brier Island
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.