We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teide in February, crampons?

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Teide in February, crampons?

Hi, My girlfriend and I are planning to climb Teide at the end of Feb.

We are both reasonably fit and have hiked quite a lot, although never in winter conditions, hence this will be a learning expirience. I realise that there will be a wind chill factor, hence we are thinking on taking our down jackets and skiing trousers + termals + fleese + hiking poles

One item of inventory I'm not that sure about is crampons. Do we need them? and if we do, do they have to be profesional (cat claw type) or simple antislip boot chains with spikes would do?

Obviously I would like to avoid buying expencive gear in case we will never use it again.

Please share your expirience!

Thanks everyone in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teide in February, crampons?

If the summit gets that iced up, the authorities often close it so you may be wasting your money.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Teide in February, crampons?

Thanks, If they close the summit, we will probably go as far as the upper station and then descend via the western route, that should be a nice hike too. I'm thinking if the summit isn't too bad but still snowy/icy, would we still need crampons and an axe, or good boots with some cheap spiky chains and trekking poles would do?

one more question. Is there an outdoor shop in Tenerife south where I could buy a couple of trekking poles? it's cheaper to buy new ones then pay for the hand luggage on easy jet.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teide in February, crampons?

Hi, most of the sports shops sell them, they are very popular in Tenerife, especially with German walkers. I have never seen crampons.

You have not mentioned a camera. I am sure you have not forgetten. On a clear day you can see all the Canary Islands from the summit.

You do need to apply for a permit, which you can do online.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teide in February, crampons?

The western route passes over the summit of Pico Viejo, which is the second highest on the island and has a much more impressive summit crater than Teide.

Do also bear in mind that by descending this way, you will finish on the TF38 Chio to Las Cañadas road, which is many miles from the start of the main Teide route.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 03:12
Reply to: Teide in February, crampons?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago del Teide