We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

Hi, in late October, we're planning to drive from Valencia to Madrid via Teruel.

We'll have two nights...both in Teruel, one each in Teruel and Albarracin, or both in Albarracin?

We can imagine it will be quite cold. Therefore, while we can be outside part of the time, we'd also plan to spend part of the time inside.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
289 reviews
305 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

As you know, Teruel is not exactly one the easiest of drives to Madrid. I once drove from Cuenca to Teruel through valleys and winding roads via Albarracin and it did seem to take a long time. I suppose what I am saying is that unless you are planning to drive via Cuenca I would take the route between Monreal del Campo and Alcolea del Pinar for driving to Madrid. I would find myself a nice hotel in Teruel and cover Albarricin in a day.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

Thanks, we ended up staying in Teruel and making a nice day trip to Albarracin. The leaves were changing color and it was very beautiful. We did end up driving from Teruel to Madrid via Cuenca, and indeed the Teruel to Cuenca segment had slower, twisting roads. Luckily we got out of Teruel early enough that we made good time.

I don't know what i was thinking when i specified Atocha station as the place to drop off the rental car. I didn't find a way to the rental car drop off except with all the traffic coming in to pick up and drop off people There are several other places I could have chosen instead, places that were just on side streets (as seen on Google Maps Street View). Well, lesson learned here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
289 reviews
305 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

Must have been a really nice drive except for that Atocha part !

United States
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

I’m planning to visit Albarracin in December! You mentioned that it was cold in October? I’m wondering how cold it would be in December then! Is it too cold to climb to the top of the stairs to get a view of the town?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

Despite my prediction, it turned out not to be cold. Rather, it was cool, sunny and, most fortunately....it wasn't windy.

However this was October, not December. I read the high temperatures in both December and January are about 47 F. with a low of about 25 F. I haven't found out if it is commonly windy there, because if so, because of the heights and exposure to the elements, wind would matter more to me than temperature. We walked all over town for several hours and noticed there aren't many places to go inside and get out of the weather,

How are you planning to get there? We arrived by car, so if it we decided to leave for any reason, we could. There is (I believe) just one bus daily to and from Teruel. Therefore, one would be 'stuck' there. Personally, I'd go anyway, having done research as to how to stay warm and out of the weather if that is required. Best of luck!

United States
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

Paul, thank you so much for your reply! I will be renting a car from Cuenca to go to Albarracin. Hope it's not too windy in December!

How is the parking situation there? Did you park (for free?) at the base of the town and then walked up the hill through the town?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
29 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Save

You're welcome, I am sure you will enjoy it. You will not have a problem finding parking in December. We parked in a free lot (on the left just before the tunnel) and walked up into the town

GPS of parking lot:

40.407523, -1.442453

I suggest going to Google Maps (especially Street View) and looking around. Also, search Flickr or some of the other photo sites.

If you're out that way, I suggest visiting Teruel too!

Edited: 2 years ago
Reply to: 2 nights on Valencia>Madrid drive, Albarracin or Teruel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albarracin
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.