We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo

Which Minato hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo

Hi,

I am somewhat surprised by the comments in Tripadvisor ‘ travel guide for Tokyo that it is difficult to get cash from ATMs using foreign ATM cards. I never had problems before traveling abroad (except in Kuala Lumpur, when my bank blocked the card!). Could someone share his/her experience using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo?

Thank you very much

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
47,305 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo

Post offices are actually quite easy to locate. The only caveat is make sure you know the ATM's operating hours. For the bigger branches, the ATM's should work most of the time when you need it (most daylight hours Monday to Saturday).

If you get Yen from home, you probably won't get very good rates in most cities (unless you are from Hong Kong where Yen rates are good). Exchange rate at the ATM are typically better.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo

We had no problem at any of the post offices or 7-11s that we got cash from. We are from USA with VISA logo bank card.

23. Re: Using US bank issued ATM cards in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2013, 05:21