We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

Neptune, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

My wife and I have booked our first trip to the island and we will be staying at L'Hoste hotel at Orient Bay Beach. Very much looking forward to our first outing here!

During our trip, we will not be renting a car. So, we'll rely on foot, taxi, and bus to do the things we want. What restaurants, in walking distance from the hotel would anybody recommend? My personal style is anything; local cuisine to adventurous, the wife is more conservative in that respect. She really enjoys Mexican, are there any recommendations (either walking or taxi ride)?

How far is the nearest main road to where the bus runs?

Some of our preliminary plans (besides relaxing) include watching the airplanes at Maho and maybe an island hop or so, but I'll post some more specific questions later in separate posts. Just looking to gather some basic info right now.

Thank You and Merci!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,370 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

There are quite a few restaurants and bars in Orient Village. Safari Grill (French), Ti Chi (Asian), Le Piment (pizza, casual dining), Cote Plage (French),Little Itale (pasta) Across the street is Paris Texas, a Tex/Mex place w/bar, and Tap 5 for pizza and other light meals. Le Cadre serves mostly tapas. Additionally right outside Orient complex on the main road is Rancho Del Sol for dinner and drinks.

In the Orient complex is also Cafe Plantation, and L'Astroble at the Esmeralda resort. They are both very good and more upscale.

Several beach bars have parties at night during high season - Waikiki, Budha Bar at Bikini, Kontiki and Boo Boo Jams, Aloha for lunch. Pedros for BBQ and more..

.There is an ATM located at the gas station in Grand Case on the main road down the hill from the police station as you are coming into town from Marigot and there is also one on the main road to Anse Marcel. Restaurants like tips to be paid in cash even when a credit card is used. It is a good idea to have some USD or Euro handy.

It's a long walk to the main road where the bus runs. Taxi fares do add up. Perhaps a car rental for a day or two would be best.

Rancho Steakhouse offers Mexican dishes in the upstairs section of the restaurant as well as excellent Argentine beef in the main floor dining room.

http://www.dinesxm.com/restaurants/rancho

Edited: 05 January 2012, 18:25
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

Another suggestion for Mexican food would be to combine your plane watching trip to Maho with a meal at Taco Macho. It's located in the parking lot just at the end of the runway road. Definitely not high-end (it's basically just a container with an awning!), but great food.

Neptune, New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

Thanks for the replies! Looks like a lot of good dining options close to where we're staying. Also, thanks for the advice on the ATMS, we'll be bringing some cash/euros and our cards to use as well.

The wife is highly in favor of Taco Macho when we visit Maho, I found out that they have a website and we looked at it.

No worries on the transit bit; we've budgeted that into our trip. I spend too much time driving with the crazies and road rage in this country to get stressed out about driving on vacation! As a quick follow-up, I've downloaded the St. Maarten Taxi zone map and rates. Are these still current or changes planned before March? The file was last updated in Dec. 2010 and I know sometimes websites are not always kept up to date!

Thanks again!

4. Re: First Time SXM 3/10/12 - 3/17/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2013, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Orient Bay