We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lost city in lake arenal!!!

pennsylvaina
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
lost city in lake arenal!!!

was wondering if anyone knew where on the lake the city was that was flooded? i have heard it is there ...but not sure where...is it by el castillo? please let me know if anyone knows where it is let me know? thanks

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

Do you mean because of the eruptions of 1968??? If so, I found this interesting link arenal.net/arenal-volcano-1968-eruption.htm which indicates town hit were Tabacon, Pueblo Nuevo and San Luis

pennsylvaina
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

im not that sure .....a friend of ours who lives there in el castillo was telling me about arenal lake and that it was a self made lake and that there was a city there ...i am a scuba diver from pennsylvania and was just curious what part of the lake the town was at....i know he also said at dry season you could see the church steeple out of the water....thanks for writing back so quick....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

The size of Arenal Lake was increased three-fold after the construction of the dam in 1979 to its present size of about 33 square miles. Two towns were flooded: the original town of Arenal and the town of Tronadora. The hydroelectric plant at the dam produces about 70% of Costa Rica's electricity.

I don't know where the towns are located in the lake but you will probably get a good answer here.

Norfolk Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

Hattie is right on, I was told the story by a local in El Castillo, I saw roof tops (jutting through the water) from the pool deck of Hotel Linda Vista which is on the edge of El Castillo.

pennsylvaina
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

very cool that at least gives me a start ...in finding where these cities are located....thanks for the help...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

What you are referring to is the old town of Arenal

under the lake after the dam was built...

Scuba dive there pretty neat it is the only place

in the world where you can SCUBA

through a church bell tower pretty cool...

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
904 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

Fascinating! Do you lug your gear there to dive, or is there place to rent equipment?

8. Re: lost city in lake arenal!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about El Castillo
More El Castillo Topics