We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

River Forest...
3 posts
SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I saw there was an earlier forum about this subject, and i was wondering if anyone knows anything further on diving lake arenal.

20 replies to this topic
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
11. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

Depends on the daily conditions. If winds pick up or it rains, clarity will change quickly. Today is a nice overcast day with little wind, so I would say yes to somewhere in the area of 10-12 feet of visibility.

Just remember there are no tour operators doing this. If you were to do it, you would probably have to rent a kayak. Not sure if anybody rents them over in Catillo, but they do at the dam and that would be a bit of a paddle. If you do go, please do not disturb the structures.

River Forest...
3 posts
12. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

ok! are there any rules on the lake as far as what types of water craft are allowed? I'm just curious. Are there any other water sports available on the lake such as tubing, skiing, etc.? I haven't found anything as of yet.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
13. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

I know that windsurfing and kite surfing are large and one of the main watersports on the lake. Kayaking is also popular. Fishing and boat tours are also available. Contact http://windsurfcostarica.com/ to see if they can help you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
14. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

There are 3: kayaking, wind surfting and kite surfing

Canada
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
68 reviews
15. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

Stand Up Paddling (SUP) is also available now.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
265 reviews
16. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

The only things we've seen are kayaking and fishing, but like others mentioned I know windsurfing is popular. Overall the lake is pretty quiet. You can also take a sunset tour of the lake in the evenings. We booked ours ahead and ended up doing it in the pouring rain - we were the only people on the boat!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
30 reviews
17. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

i saw a ski boat on the lake earlier this year. most of the activity i've seen on the lake is at the north end of the dam. the windsurfing seems to be concentrated at the northern end of the lake, quite a ways away from arenal, but definitely doable as a day trip.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
88 posts
26 reviews
18. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

We dove the lake about 30 years ago and the visibility was terrible. The village was still intact and there was danger in getting tangled in the trees. I understand the viz is better now and the trees have long rotted, some of the trees caused extensive getting caught in the turbine blades of the hydroelectric plant (but that;s another story

4 posts
19. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

If you do want to dive it, you would want to choose a time before rainy season- the water is much clearer and the levels are lower. El Castillo would be the place you would want to go to find a boat. There aren't any "formal" boat tour operators but there are a couple residents there with boats who would take someone out given they are not busy. (it is a financial thing). When you get into El Castillo, go halfway up the entrance street and on your right there is a grocery store. Ask the proprietor there ("Treeky") if anyone has a boat available. You have a better chance if you will be there for a couple of days to work around their schedule. If nothing works out at El Castillo, you can go to the Dam as there are sometimes ppl waiting there to take people out. They are normally larger boats with seats for 20 ppl, but there is the odd smaller boat around.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
265 reviews
20. Re: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal

It would be wonderful to see some pictures if the visibility was good.

Reply to: SCUBA DIVE lake arenal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Castillo
More El Castillo Topics