We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Castillo to Tilaran?

Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
El Castillo to Tilaran?

Hello all. In a couple of weeks we will be traveling from El Castillo to Liberia (2 rental 4x4 vehicles) and I was wondering if the road south of Lake Arenal from El Castillo to Tilaran is passable now? I see there is at least one river crossing (no bridge) but don't know what the conditions have been lately. Any help would be appreciated.

We have traveled from La Fortuna to Tilaran on the road north of the lake (142) once before and would like to try something new if possible. Thanks in advance for info.

7 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Hmmmmm? Nothing back yet. I wonder if the folks who tried that route havn't been heard from yet? (smile)...

At least my post puts you back at top of the list ..

Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
2. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Thanks Steve. It looks like the road from El Castillo to Rio Chiquito might be the difficult part so I'll just have to explore the opportunities once I'm in country... that's the fun part tho!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Exactly!!! I saw your monkey trail "repost". Havn't been on it in 5 years, It was a hoot. Crossing a stream (very shallow but we walked thru before driving thru.) Then up an embankment. to bypass some deeper water... (hand painted direction arrows so we were not breaking new trail). .Never forget it and in a Corolla (not recommended).

Hope someone jumps in here on your El Castillo alternative to 142.

Edited: 12 June 2016, 11:21
Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
4. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

In a Corolla? Oh my... you are an adventurist !

Thanks again for your reply. Cheers.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Not adventurous. Didn't know any better

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Hard to believe.... Nobody has done the south route Bob is taking about ???

Canada
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
68 reviews
7. Re: El Castillo to Tilaran?

Nobodhas dodone it because it is not realy possible driving. Better by horseback and maybe by quad but what would you do with it at the other end?

Reply to: El Castillo to Tilaran?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Castillo