We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FairFX cards in restaurants?

Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
FairFX cards in restaurants?

When we go to Alykes later this summer, we were thinking of loading a pre-paid currency card rather than taking a large amount of euros with us. Does anyone know if the FairFX card is widely accepted as payment in restaurants. My idea is that we load the card with half of our spending money for paying for evening meals and then take the other half of our spending money in euros.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
12,139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FairFX cards in restaurants?

Fairfx is as good as any other debit card. All businesses legally have to take plastic. However sometimes "the machine is not working". Also you will not be popular buying a coffee with plastic.

North East England...
Level Contributor
773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FairFX cards in restaurants?

Use mine to withdraw cash from machines when we stay in Tsilivi...Think most restaurants want to see cash payments.

Gomersal, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FairFX cards in restaurants?

We use the CaxtonFX card just withdraw Euros from ATM and pay cash although some taverna's are happy to take the card payments.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FairFX cards in restaurants?

When the Greek economy virtually collapsed several years ago authorities began to try and clamp down on the 'cash culture' that obviously had an effect on the country's economy especially during the tourist Season. All businesses were forced to have card payment machines installed and receipts must be issued for all transactions. It will take time time for Greeks to adjust and adhere to this legal requirement nowadays but I can see many payment machines developing mystery faults as they do already keeping the 'cash culture' well and truly alive. Always try and pay by card if that's the way you want to pay but I think you'll find a good many places will prefer cash !!

5. Re: FairFX cards in restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2018, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Alykes
Recent Conversations
More Alykes Topics