We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arisaig

Pee
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
105 helpful votes
Arisaig

Hi, I've booked Scotrail tickets Fort William to Arisaig (Jacobite fully booked and Scotrail MUCH cheaper). I can't find Arisaig forum so thought I'd try asking here ... how would we get from the train station to Arisaig beach? Is it walking distance or should we get a taxi?

7 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Arisaig

Walk - it’s not that far from the station to the nearest beach and the shortest/most off the main road route is to go straight down the village road just across the main road at the end of the station road - no vehicle entry, pedestrian only.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
29 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Arisaig

It's a relatively short walk from the station and down through the village to the shore. However if you look at this map, and scroll upwards, you can see a whole series of sandy beaches all the way from Arisaig up to Morar, Camusdarach being the best known. In which case head up past the St Mary's Church.

https://goo.gl/maps/CYqoHzfmezp6py3e7

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
64 reviews
138 helpful votes
3. Re: Arisaig

What do you mean by “Arisaig Beach”? As already mentioned, there are a string of amazing beaches on the stretch of coast from Arisaig to Morar. This stretch of coast is usually generically described as “Arisaig”, but the best beaches are a fair distance from Arisaig Village, and Arisaig Station. Have a look at the area on Google maps, and try a couple of walking directions and you’ll see the distances involved. It might be worth considering booking a taxi to meet you off the train, drop you at Traigh or Camusdarach, and walk back - depending how far you want to walk.

Pee
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
105 helpful votes
4. Re: Arisaig

Thank you for your replies. As we will be time limited is there a quick way to get to and from Camusdarach beach?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
75 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Arisaig

If you want to go to Camusdarach then you don't get off the train at Arisaig, you go on to the next stop, Morar. It's still a fair walk, but it's much closer than Arisaig.

Pee
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
105 helpful votes
6. Re: Arisaig

Hmm I'm torn now! We will have 3 hours before our return trip to Fort William. Would we be better getting off the train at Arisaig, Morar or Mallaig? Obviously the time constraints will limit how far we can walk and we would like to see the beaches so what would you recommend?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
75 reviews
61 helpful votes
7. Re: Arisaig

It's about two miles to walk from Morar station to Camusdarach, and much more from Arisaig. So allow for an hour's walk each way. However, you will pass other spacious sandy beaches around the margins of Morar Bay as you go, so maybe you could stop there. Have a look at a map and you'll see what I mean.

Reply to: Arisaig
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morar
Recent Conversations
More Morar Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.