We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August? Ruled by school holidays.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
34 reviews
239 helpful votes
August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

We are thinking a week in Dubai and a week at the Four Seasons Mauritius for August 2014. I know it will be the Mauritiuan winter. Just hoping that the water is warm in the day. Has anyone out there stay on this side of the island in August?

9 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,420 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

I would reconsider the Four Seasons at this time of year as the east coast is subject to the trade winds during July/August which may spoil your stay.

Rather look at hotels in the west or north of the islands during August.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
57,943 posts
155 reviews
1,028 helpful votes
2. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

I would also reconsider Four Seasons - it may feel cool on the east coast in August because of the trade winds - these can lower the temp considerably some days.

You would be better looking at the west, north or north west coasts which are warmer in the winter months.

Also I don't know if you've been to Dubai in summer, but August is brutally hot though its the very high humidity which is more uncomfortable.

Dubai does cater well for this with chilled pools etc but you are confined to A/C hotels, taxis, and malls.

The sea is like a warm bath in August and a lot of the outdoor cafes etc close then.

A lot of people cope very well in August but its not too comfortable IME.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
34 reviews
239 helpful votes
3. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

Thanks for the replies. We are so limted on when we can go on holiday as our son races almost every weekend, even in the winter. We now have a 10-14 window when there are no major races and school is out. This year we have a whopping 12 days and are going to Sharm El Sheikh (yes we will melt) as I can't be bothered with long flights this year.

Can either of you recommend resorts elsewhere on the island? We are total fans of Four Seasons properties. I know there is a One and Only property on the island.

Bronia, I didn't realize Dubai was humid in summer. I am from Chicago where summers are very hot and humid which is not nice to say the least.

Oh where to go, where to go! We like a little bit of luxury when we holiday, but I find the inflated prices of European markets ridiculous. That's why I was looking to Dubai and Mauritius...the search continues.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
27,530 posts
3,074 reviews
2,644 helpful votes
4. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

In the north west of the island, I would look at Oberoi (very plush), Trou aux Biches and to a lesser extent Maritim.

In the west of the island, Maradiva and Sofitel.

Dubai will be very hot but is proving to be very popular this summer. I have been to neighbouring Abu Dhabi and Las Vegas in late July and they are as hot as each other.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
57,943 posts
155 reviews
1,028 helpful votes
5. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

A second for Trou aux Biches - its a really first rate resort. Also Oberoi gets my vote.

www.oberoi-mauritius.com

www.trouauxbiches-resort.com

The One and Only St Geran is on the east coast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
6. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

Hello! I know your timing is limited, but please check the temperatures in Dubai before you go during August. We lived there for a year, and although I love the heat (finding around 105 perfectly comfortable), Dubai can be unbearable in August, to the point where it is difficult to breathe outside! It is an absolutely amazing place to visit though! Good luck!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
34 reviews
239 helpful votes
7. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

Thanks Elan. We just came back from Egypt and the temps were hot, hot, hot! However, most days the heat was dry. We met several families in Egypt that normally go to Dubai and they also said Dubai's heat was worse.

We are tossing up two trips in the air right now - Maui, Hawaii and Dubai / Mauritius. Currently, Maui is winning - just wish the flight wasn't so long!

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
201 reviews
424 helpful votes
8. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

It's difficult having to keep to the school holidays. In August I would opt for Maui, the weather will be more certain. We did the trip a few years ago and had an overnight stop in Los Angeles because of flight timings but it served also to break the journey.

Easter school holidays would be your best bet in Mauritius.

Mazza :-)

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
34 reviews
239 helpful votes
9. Re: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Save

Mazza, yes, it looks like Mauritius is off the table now. Maui is a great place and we haven't been back since we got married and honeymooned there. The weather is perfect and being American, everything is familiar to me.

We may break up the flights and see friends in LA or San Francisco. However, once we get going I always get a case of got-to-get-there-itis ;-)

Reply to: August? Ruled by school holidays.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beau Champ
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.