We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

I understand that there are two bus companies - Fasaha and Chakito - operating bus rides between Lushoto and Arusha, however I can't find online any information regarding timetables, except that the first bus leaves around 6-7 am. Are there any buses leaving later during the day? Specifically, are there any buses on Sundays?

We are a couple planning to hike in the Usambaras until July 22nd (which happens to be Sunday) and need to get to Arusha by the evening, because the next morning we start our safari. Is it possible to hike in the morning and take a bus in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

8 replies to this topic
Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Hi, our buses do not operate online so there are no ways to get the timetable online. My advise while in Lushoto visit the Bus Stand at Town Centre and you will be able to get many options. I would advise not to hike, just wake up and get the earliest bus to Arusha as possible as you can.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

All buses to lushoto from Arusha leave from 6up 9 morning and Sunday bus still doing routes

It daily route make sure you book ticket one day before or go very early morning before departure time

Or take late bus from Nairobi via Arusha then drop at mombo junction take a public bus to lushoto also that is works

Edited: 19 June 2018, 07:23
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Thanks for your answers!

@Augustine R - can you please explain why everyone advise to take the earliest bus possible? Are the later buses less reliable or something?

@safarieyes - my route is the other way round, from Lushoto to Arusha... :)

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Danke to hear you again

Lushoto to Arusha

Or Arusha to lushoto is Daily route

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Add between fasaha and chakito bus try chakito bus almost 4 bus leave Arusha daily

6:00

6:30

7:00

8:30 from Nairobi stopover Arusha then Dar

Very day morning

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
435 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

@Zohar

All buses are reliable but if you are guest it is better to arrive earlier so you can have smooth arrival and get to see place at day. This will be advantageous if you don't know where you are going to sleep, etc.

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

You might be able to contact Dar Lux or kadia one for the express bus pickup in Mambo, which means you have to get to Mambo by dolla dolla or taxi, and have the number of the conductor so he can tell you when he is approaching and you can get on the bus. You can probably arrange that at the bus station and Arusha for the day you want to do that. I am in contact with a local guide who arranges it for me, you have to pay the full fare which I think is 35000 TSH. I always plan to be there by 10:30 or 11 hey Mambo but I can't say for sure that I remember when the bus usually passes by I can also recommend a hiking guide for biking and Hiking if you like, dennis munga, 255 621 681 856, he provides safe comfortable lodging excellent tour and home cooked meals. So it's not super high dollar but it's also not budget. If you use him he will arrange for you to meet those buses. Also when you leave Arusha for the Chouteau if that is your route you can catch either of those buses at 6 a.m. from the Arusha bus station and get off at Mambo

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha

Also, the first time I went to lushoto I took the Arusha leChouteau direct bus and it took 8 hours no stops but to let people on and off. I didn't ask to use the toilet I don't know if they would wait for you if you did. I just didn't eat or drink anything since I woke up because I wasn't sure the situation

Reply to: Bus from Lushoto to Aruha
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted