We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
19 posts
238 reviews
254 helpful votes
Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

I am looking for somewhere to stay near Lushoto for a couple of nights in September. The Footprint guide recommends Irente View Cliff Lodge but this doesn't have any reviews on Tripadvisor. Likewise for Grant's Lodge which doesn't seem to have a website either. I wonder if it has closed down or changed name? A third recommendation is Lushoto Executive Lodge which doesn't have any reviews either. Another option is Muller's Mountain Lodge which only has one review. Is this a sign of how off the beaten track this area is? Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has stayed at any of these lodges or has any other recommendations.

13 replies to this topic
Uganda
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
1. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Muller's Mountain Lodge and Irente Farm are good places to stay. Grant's Lodge was closed last time I was there. Muller's is quite a bit out of town so harder to get to, but they will arrange transport for you.

The area is great and well worth a visit, with lots of good hiking and good guides are available at Friends of Usambara (tourist office beside the bank).

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
976 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Try (Mambo view point.org). I recommended to some friends of mine and it was nice.

Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
244 posts
74 reviews
110 helpful votes
3. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Hi, since there is no review about irente view cliff lodge, i will write a brief review as I stayed there in August for three days.

The hotel is on ideal location, you will need a taxi from Lushoto bus station( 10000 tsh) to get there as it is 6 km away in the mountains.

Apart from stunning views - all rooms overlook the mountains, and irente viewpoint is only 100 meters away up the hill. Hot showers, tv ( didnt watch it) , spacious and clean rooms with balcony, piecefulness and friendly staff. Rooms are cleaned daily and they even had a trash bin in the room which wasnt so common on my travel in Tanzania,;) Breakfast included, all meals were delicious and among the cheapest on the trip.

Highly recommend it .

There also works a young lad James, born in Irente village. You can arrange daily hike with him to Magamba forest or anywhere else, then Lushoto and back to Irente for 20 Usd per person. He was really knowledgable about the history of the region, he told us legends, showed us natural medicine plants in the forest, we have also tracked down a colubus monkeys, saw albino blackman, holding chameleons in the hands. A very nice hike with a trustworthy guide. He also arranged us bus tickets for Dar with front seats and called a friend when our cab driver didn't shouw up early in the morning as we were leasving. Highly recommend this hotel, it is a bit pricy, but the views and tranquility are spectacular.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 12:41
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
4. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Just because it is not on Trip Advisor doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is not suitable accomodation. Hundreds of people travel to tanzania and most of them havent heard of the travel forums. Also you will find once the trip is over then they with their memories get on with their life and or plans for another trip/country.

Mullers Lodge is an interesting and suitable place to stay, as is is Irente Lodge.

Grants lodge is also worth while staying there if it is open. Lushoto has plenty of decent accomodation with easier access to the walking trails. Lushoto is off the beaten track hence few reviews.

Lushoto, Tanzania
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Unfortunately most recent paper guides are outdated concerning the Usambara Mountains. They missed the rising tourism in this region. Grants lodge f.e. is closed for many years already and will not open again. Others are not that good any more but there also new ones or the ones who improved.

If you search on Tripadvisor and others for lodging in Lushoto you will find good reviews as well.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
19 posts
238 reviews
254 helpful votes
6. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

I recently returned from my trip to Lushoto. I stayed at the Mullers Mountain Lodge and it was very good. I will be posting a review on Tripadvisor with photos soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
45 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

I stayed in Lushoto this July. It is a wonderful and very beautiful place.

We stayed at Tunami guesthouse, it is located in Lushoto town.

It is a budget option, only 25.000 tsh for two including breakfast. The rooms was big, clean and with a balcony. The breakfast was also good, and dinner in the restaurent cheep and good.

I liked the location in town, because you get a good feeling off the local life.

We used Friends off Usambara for our trekking and they were great!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
8. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

I had the same problem when I was planning our trip to Tanzania in Dec 11/Jan 12. Because there's so little information on Trip Adviser about Lushoto I really wanted to review our hotel and the trekking we did but Lushoto is set up incorrectly. My review about the Tumaini Hostel was listed in the "Speciality Hotels" section instead of "Lushoto hotels" so my reveiew about the most central Lushoto hotel, the most suitable for trekkers, is virtually impossible to find. All the reviews about trekking, Mgamba rain forest, Mkuzu waterfall etc are listed under "Arusha - things to do" which is ridiculous - no wonder travellers can't find the information they need! I contacted Trip Adviser and explained the problem but they have done nothing. It's such a pity because it's a lovely area and really worth visiting. We trekked with Friends of the Usumbara who are a really great bunch of people. Lushoto as a destination deserves better promotion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

I had the same problem when I was planning our trip to Tanzania in Dec 11/Jan 12. Because there's so little information on Trip Adviser about Lushoto I really wanted to review our hotel and the trekking we did but Lushoto is set up incorrectly. My review about the Tumaini Hostel was listed in the "Speciality Hotels" section instead of "Lushoto hotels" so my reveiew about the most central Lushoto hotel, the most suitable for trekkers, is virtually impossible to find. All the reviews about trekking, Mgamba rain forest, Mkuzu waterfall etc are listed under "Arusha - things to do" which is ridiculous - no wonder travellers can't find the information they need! I contacted Trip Adviser and explained the problem but they have done nothing. It's such a pity because it's a lovely area and really worth visiting. We trekked with Friends of the Usumbara who are a really great bunch of people. Lushoto as a destination deserves better promotion.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,436 posts
472 reviews
474 helpful votes
10. Re: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!

Thanks PearlW. This is an ongoing contention with TA reviews. They are all over the place and the 'locators' have simply no idea of where the Lodge and even towns are. It is cheaper and easier to shift the mountains around than get TA to amend things. My review of Same is under Kilimanjaro. 200miles north. I gave up and use the Bradt guide now. At least Phillip Briggs knows where things really are. I use Mullers.

Reply to: Accomodation around Lushoto - no reviews!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted