We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Pune to Ganpatipule

Pune, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Pune to Ganpatipule

Dear All

I will soon be driving from Pune to Ganpatipule. Please suggest the best route for this journey.

Though I would want a route with more scenic views but if such a route is quite longer or road conditions are not good, then I would prefer a safer and faster route.

As per my understanding it is good to go via Karad. One doubt is - after Karad, is it a good idea to go via Chiplun OR go via NH166 which comes from Kolhapur?

Please suggest accordingly.

2 replies to this topic
Pune, India
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Pune to Ganpatipule

I generally take Tamhini ghat road as it's more scenic. Last time I traveled during mansoon and road condition was okay, This road takes you to Mangaon from then on it's Mumbai-Goa highway.. It's without divider, but in good condition except few patches. You will have more vehicles on this road.

If you are going on NH4 then no need to go all the way upto Karad, 20km before Karad at Umbraj you can take right turn (below the flyover)

For me the time difference between above two routes is 20-30min.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Pune to Ganpatipule

I visited Ganpatipule during 23 - 25 Nov'17. I took the road through Karad. The road condition till Karad is V.good as it is national highway. It took me Total 8 hours to reach with 2 breaks (Total 1 hour) during the journey.

Two good Hotels to have a break/fast on the way are:

1. Viranguda before Bhuinch

2. Milestone in Satara

After Karad, you will find rough patches on Ghat sections. I would suggest going through Ratnagiri and then Aare-Ware beach road because it is very scenic. You will have amazing drive experience through Aare-Ware.

The best place to stay in Ganpatipule is MTDC resort; that too Premier AC Sea-Facing rooms. Within MTDC premise; these rooms are located half kilometer away from Canteen/Office so having a Car/Taxi will be helpful to avoid frequent walks to cover the distance.

If you want to eat delicious Ukadi ke Modak then you may need to place a order before 2-3 hours. In Ganpatipule, Restaurant Tarang (in MTDC) offers good Lunch (Thali) & Breakfast. I liked the food quality at Joshi Bhau Canteen. It is between MTDC and Hotel Durvankur. Though the Menu Options are less but the quality was very good.

I also visited Theebaw palace and Aquarium in Ratnagiri but didn't find them worth visiting.

While returning, it took 9 hours to reach Pune, due to weekend traffic on highway.

During return trip to Pune, I took Lunch at Dhani Pure Veg at Karad; Food was good.

Reply to: Drive from Pune to Ganpatipule
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ganpatipule