We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
284 posts
13 reviews
Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

Contemplating visiting sri lanka in sept, ive researched weather is better in the east but from uk we have little choice in package holidays on the east coast. Looking at the west coast weve stumbled across eden resort and spa which we like the look of. How is beruwala beach etc? as we like a nice beach. Also are we better going b&b or would all inc be a better option (we would still eat out occasionally as we would be staying 2 weeks) any advice would be greatly received and thankyou in advance x

6 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

Hello

There is so much you'll miss out on if you do 2 weeks of package holiday on that bit of the coast. Read around a bit more and seriously consider doing a week touring visiting the cultural triangle and hill country before a week on the beach. If it is absolutle beach you're after go to the maldives instead.

Brewella beach is middling. 2 weeks would be quite a long time to spend there and there are far superior beaches further south and east to go for insteasd.

Sorry this probably isn't the feedback you want but it would be a waste to come all the way here for 2 weeks on a middling beach.

Good luck

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

As MsLulu mentioned before its too much for Beruwala. You can find nice beaches further down or best beaches on east coast in that period.

SW beaches : Bentota , Hikkaduwa , Unawatuna , Mirissa , Tangalle

East : Nilaveli , Pasikuda , Arugambay

Do a small research on forum and select what you want.

Normally everyone likes to travel around in first days and stay at beach in end for relaxing.

Best Regards,

Chathura.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

I could be wrong but I feel like the cultural triangle is close to Trincomalee and although I haven't gone I heard it's got beautiful beaches aka you could do both cultural triangle and beach with less time wasted on commuting. The benefit with the southern coast is you can check out Galle but keep in mind monsoon season that should help you decide on beaches. As for two weeks it could be enough time to see things depending on your mode of transportation. I spent exactly 4 nights/5 days in the cultural triangle and I did Sigiriya Lion Rock & the elephant Safari in one day and Dambulla Cave Temple and Polonnuruwa Ruins on the second day. It's possible, it just requires early mornings and depends on the mode of transportation. We could have easily left on the fourth day and headed to Kandy or Ella if we wanted too. First decide on what exactly you want to see in Sri Lanka and then the itinerary will be easier to create. But I'm pretty sure Trincomalee beach is closer to the cultural triangle then southern beaches. I should add - if there aren't any pre packages and your comfortable travelling and building your own tour go with air bnb in the beaches and do a resort in the cultural triangle. You can arrange drivers or Tuk tuks with the hotel to the various excursions within the cultural triangle.

Edited: 08 March 2017, 17:29
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

I could be wrong but I feel like the cultural triangle is close to Trincomalee and although I haven't gone I heard it's got beautiful beaches aka you could do both cultural triangle and beach with less time wasted on commuting. The benefit with the southern coast is you can check out Galle but keep in mind monsoon season that should help you decide on beaches. As for two weeks it could be enough time to see things depending on your mode of transportation. I spent exactly 4 nights/5 days in the cultural triangle and I did Sigiriya Lion Rock & the elephant Safari in one day and Dambulla Cave Temple and Polonnuruwa Ruins on the second day. It's possible, it just requires early mornings and depends on the mode of transportation. We could have easily left on the fourth day and headed to Kandy or Ella if we wanted too. First decide on what exactly you want to see in Sri Lanka and then the itinerary will be easier to create. But I'm pretty sure Trincomalee beach is closer to the cultural triangle then southern beaches. I should add - if there aren't any pre packages and your comfortable travelling and building your own tour go with air bnb in the beaches and do a resort in the cultural triangle. You can arrange drivers or Tuk tuks with the hotel to the various excursions within the cultural triangle.

Edited: 08 March 2017, 17:29
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

To answer your question, I'd recommend you book a hotel or resort in the cultural triangle arrange a driver or Tuk Tuk through them to take you to the various excursions your interested in within the cultural triangle then book though airbnb or a hotel or resort in the beach you see fit. They will always arrange airport pick up and drop off- I'm not sure if this works out to be more expensive but it would def help with your 2 week stay.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
6. Re: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!

Beruwala beach is ok during the season.

But it's obviously one of the least impressive places to be stuck in for 2 weeks. Esp after flying all the way here

Reply to: Sri lanka newbies...need advice!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beruwala