We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

Hello

We are considering Zante for our holiday next year, we have never been before.

Can anyone give me an idea of the costs of eating and drinking out over there? We like to have a 2 course meal in a nice restaurant, a traditional taverna style restaurant is our favourite and we love our seafood. We like to eat some nights at a cheaper place in order to save money and eat at more upmarket restaurants on other evenings. We usually have a 2 course meal with one drink each.

If anyone could give me some general info about Alykanas and the prices, the kinds of restaurants and bars etc, and an indication of how much spending money you usually budget for a 2 week self catering holiday that would be great. We have been told that we will probably like Alykanas because we love Pefkos in Rhodes which has a few bars and restaurants but not nightlife/night clubs as such, any info you can offer on this subject would be gratefully received.

I've found a couple of reasonably priced hotels; Dannys, and the Grapevines. Anyone stayed at these before?

7 replies to this topic
CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,249 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

There aren't any really upmarket restaurants as such, just good quality very well priced family run establishments. Expect to pay around 35-40 euros per couple for 2 courses with drinks, some places will give you free local wine. Beers (local) are around 3-3.5 euros a draught pint or large bottle, imported drinks are obviously a bit more expensive and a litre jug of local wine costs around 7 euros. 6 x large bottles of drinking water from supermarkets cost around 2 euros per pack. Full English style breakfast including tea/coffee, toast, and fruit juice start around the 4 euro mark for a small breakfast and around 6 euros for a large breakfast. Seafoods are widely available in most places with a whole sea bream served with side salad and chips as an example costs around the 10-12 euro mark. Budgeting on around the 100-110 euro mark per day will allow you to live very well. There are several local take away outlets that also have sit down facilities serving very cheap food indeed like gyros, pizza, souvlaki, etc, etc, these also do local deliveries to hotels and apartments too. We've stayed in both Danny's and the Grapevines several times and wouldn't hesitate to stay at either again. Both these places are very near each other with the Grapevines being much quieter than the very popular Danny's that has excellent facilities especially food served there. You can use facilities including pools, and bars all around the area free of charge just be courteous and buy a drink or snack in any you use. You can look at sites like these below to look at the area. www.alykes.com > www.justzante.co.uk > www.virtualzakynthos.gr

Edited: 30 July 2018, 04:28
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
712 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

Taverna Paradosiako (sp) halfway between Alykans/Alykes is very good. Very popular so good idea to book in advance.

Anotalikis (sp) in Alykes is also very nice. See front taverna serving traditional dishes. The view is free!

Sugarbush bar is good of an evening as is Palm tree. Further down the main road is a coffee shop where you can have a coffe, milkshake plus other drinks. Pastries (sweet/savory)

And then there is Montes supermarket. This sells anything you need and has a bakery attached.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

We stayed in Pefkos last year and Alykanas this year. Alykanas is cheaper than Pefkos, but they are totally different, enjoy your holiday.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

Thanks for your help everyone. When I say upmarket places, perhaps I chose my words badly, I meant more the type of restaurant you mentioned i.e. good quality family run tavernas, so it's good to hear there's a good choice. I'm glad to hear there's places to eat with a good sea view, that definitely appeals to us.

We were recommended to try Zante and specifically Alykanas (amongst others) because it's a nice resort that's not too lively and most importantly the cost of eating out is cheaper. We love Pefkos but feel we are being priced out, it's getting very expensive there, it's not difficult to spend 50-100 euros on a 2 course meal for 2 plus drinks, and other prices are high too; we were half board this year but still spend 1800 euros!

Once again, thanks for the advice, it's really helpful

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
122 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

Michelle & Christine - we've been to Zante 9 times - 10th coming up in a few weeks. The last two years we've been to Alykes, which we loved, and this year we are going to The Grapevines in Alykanas for a wee change. We were thinking about Pefkos in Rhodes next year as we've never been to Rhodes, but was very interested to read your comments of Pefkos. It seems to be really expensive compared to Alykes/Alykanas. I think we might be re-booking for Zante again next year! Might try Argassi for a wee change. There again we might love Alykanas so much that we'll re-book - LOL.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

We have stayed in Pefkos a nice little place and if you liked it im sure you will love Alykanas which is better and cheaper.

We have stayed in Grapevines 3 times a lovely place to stay in a quiet location but just 5 minutes stroll to the main street its a friendly small apartment complex run by a lovely family the owner Andy will make you welcome.

We have never stayed at Dannys but our friends have and give good reports about it we have spent time in the lovely friendly bar at Dannys it has lots going on most nights.

There are lots of great tavernas in Alykanas our favourites are Levante,Alkyonis,Vrisaki and Greek Acropolis.

If you choose to stay at Dannys but find the pool area a bit crowded just along the road is a lovely Pool and Bar called Bliss everyone is welcome and its a lovely place to spend the day or night.

Hope you enjoy your holiday

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?

We're just back from alykanas stayed at zante garden apartment walked past grapevines every day look quite but nice happy hour every night 6/8 €3 for cocktails and spirts Danny's hotel looked good but busy

Never had a bad meal at any of the tavernas you'll not need 2 courses

Because you get such a big plate full

Between €7/ €12 for meals

Great beach plenty bars great place.

Reply to: Considering Alykanas for next year - advice on prices?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alykanas
Recent Conversations