We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

Manchester, United...
3 posts
Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

I notice that there is a road that goes from Gamboa along the lake and across the lake islands to Gatun locks. I like the look of that for a short road trip. Has anyone driven it?

5 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
24 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

Where in the world have you found this road? You must be looking at the railroad. Yes, I've been on the train. Never saw a single car on the tracks. Take another look at your map.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
2. Re: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

Ha! Thanks. Maybe I should look at the map with my glasses on??! The train sounds interesting though......

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
24 reviews
40 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

The train runs from Panama City (Corozal) to Colón at 7:15 AM Monday through Friday. The 60 minute ride is a nice way to see the Canal zone. The return trip is at 5:15 PM. In between, you can hire an SET (Servicio Especial de Turismo) taxi and see Fort San Lorenzo, the visitors' center at the new, expansion locks Agua Clara and/or Portobelo -- Panama's most historically significant town and port.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

I'd love to drive on the train's tracks. It goes through some beautiful areas surrounded by the lake.

Manchester, United...
3 posts
5. Re: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa

Living dangerously!

Reply to: Driving to Gatun locks from Gamboa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gamboa
Recent Conversations