We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parks of Panama city

Framingham...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Parks of Panama city

I am a nature lover and I want to know which parks in Panama city are easily accessible and safe for solo traveler. How much is a taxi ride to these destinations from Panama center?

Viator offers a trip for $140 to Soberania park and monkey island but they require to have at least 2 people. Could you suggest any other way to get to these parks on my own? Can I buy a cheaper tour to these parks while I am in Panama city?

Thank you very much for your response!

2 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parks of Panama city

The Gamboa Rainforest Resort does tours to Monkey Island. You might check prices with them.

As for Soberanía, it all depends on where you go. Soberanía is Panama's largest national park and it takes in a large amount of land. Within it are a number of different trails and attractions. The Pipeline Trail is popular with bird watchers. The Rainforest Discovery Center is well worth seeing. My favorite trail is Camino las Cruces -- the main road between Venta las Cruces (and the Caribbean) and Panama City, built by the Spanish in the late 1500s. There is also Summit Park botanical gardens and zoo with many of Panama's indigenous animals and birds, including the Harpy eagle.

You don't have to be with a tour group to see any of these sites. You can take taxis or Uber. Be sure to make pick-up arrangements, too. Taxi fare from Panama City to Pipeline or Rainforest Discovery Center would be in the range of $40 to $50. Summit Park and Camino las Cruces would be much less. If you do Camino las Cruces, it's very important that you stay on the trail. From the trailhead on Madden Dam Road (Calle Madden), you can safely hike in about a mile.

There are other parks with natural jungle within Panama City; the Metropolitan Natural Park and Ancon Hill (Cerro Ancon). You can get to either one with a taxi for just a few dollars. But, be careful around the base of Ancon Hill. Most of the neighborhoods (except Quarry Heights) are not safe.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parks of Panama city

Great response! Thank you very much!

Reply to: Parks of Panama city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gamboa
Recent Conversations