We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

CALI
Level Contributor
477 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

Traveling Christmas week.

plan on doing jungle tour, monkey island, aerial tram

i will have a rental car, do i need reservations for these activities or can i just show up?

5 replies to this topic
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

You can just show up but bear in mind that the wildlife has receded considerably due to canal work. So the monkey island tour no longer operates because there are no monkeys (and the tram tour is a bit dull).

CALI
Level Contributor
477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

any suggestions, kids want to see wildlife, have 5 days in PTY/Gamboa, would love to go to

a nice beach but they are too far within our 5 day time

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

Take the kids to the zoo at Summit Park -- part of Soberanía National Park. You'll pass it on your way to Gamboa. You'll see animals indigenous to Panama; parrots and macaws, monkeys, jaguars, an amazingly large crocodile and an excellent exhibit on Panama's national bird, the harpy eagle.

If you wake early enough, you'll see ñeques on the lawns around Gamboa.

You might also check out the Rain Forest Discovery Center just past Gamboa. On the way, you'll pass the Pipeline Road -- which is actually a very wide hiking trail. You may see wildlife there.

While there are no nice beaches, you might also consider a day trip to Gatún locks, Fort San Lorenzo and Portobelo. If the kids are old enough for snorkeling, Scubapanama offers snorkeling trips to a location that does have a nice, private beach.

I hope you're not planning on driving your rental car to places within Panama City. Unless you know the city very well, know the safe route to take, and you've dealt with Panama's drivers, this is not where you want to be driving a rental car ... especially with kids. Use the taxis instead.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

there is a lot of wildlife to be seen on just the plain canal boat tour--monkey island isn't an option, but there are still plenty of monkeys around

Panama Province...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest

Hi there:

For the kids a cool area to see animals in the wild may be The Natural Metropolitan Park which is within the city.

I was just there iver the weekend and saw monkeys (around 6), a sloth and some other little creatures. The guard told me that deers are seen in the evening.

There are 4 trails...

Also there is Parque Soberania, monkeys and lots of birds...

Hope you enjoy my country...

Edited: 27 May 2015, 19:03
Reply to: 1-2 days at Gamboa rainforest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gamboa
Recent Conversations