We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing trip in Gamboa

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
41 posts
fishing trip in Gamboa

Wife and I are spending a three of nights at the Gamboa Resort in April. While there, we would like to do a Gatun lake fishing trip. Has anyone gone down to the boat docks,and booked a fishing trip with only a couple days notice?. The resort offers a package, but it seems to be pricey.

4 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: fishing trip in Gamboa

You should be able to find someone at the Gamboa marina. The usual price is around $70 for two, plus $6 for minnows. You may have a guide/skipper who doesn't speak much English, though.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2. Re: fishing trip in Gamboa

Thank you gb_williams for your quick reply. Language would not be a problem. On my quest, I have been able to find a couple of guides, but they come from PC and way more expensive ($330-$450)for the two of us, yikes. Since we are going to be at the Gamboa Rainforest Resort for two/three nights anyways, I was hopping to find a cheaper and practical to find a local guide/skipper. Has anyone hired a skipper/guide from the Gamboa area that would take us out fishing and perhaps a Monkey Island sight seeing as well?

Any info would be greatly helpful.

On a different subject, we thought we would hire a driver or taxi from PC(Trump) to Gamboa Resort. How much should we expect to pay, and would there be much problem finding a ride back?. Another thought was to rent a car, but it would be sitting at the resort for those days. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: fishing trip in Gamboa

My info about fishing Lake Gatún comes from a very close friend in Panama who has gone out from the marina and from posts on the Yahoo forum, Americans in Panama. $70 per person seems to be a typical dockside price. I doubt that would include Monkey Island, but you could certainly ask.

Taxis from Trump Tower will cost you, just because of the location. Unfortunately, that hotel is basically at a deadend where walking to a reasonable place to catch a taxi is difficult. The drivers know this and they know only very rich gringos stay there, who will pay whatever price the driver says is the fare. Like many hotels, I'm sure the drivers also have a deal going with the doormen who set the prices and take a cut. Who knows what you're going to get soaked for to go to Gamboa? However, if you were to get a taxi on the street away from your hotel, you shouldn't pay any more than $45 for two people.

You shouldn't have a problem getting back if you tell the desk in advance that you want a taxi, or if you make arrangements with a taxi driver at some other point during your trip. Making arrangements with a driver directly is usually the best way to make sure you're picked up when you want and for a better price.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: fishing trip in Gamboa

Thanks again gb_williams for your thoughts. Greatly appreciate it. A family member has a driver she uses when she visits Panama. I was going to get his number from her to have us picked up at the airport, and make arrangements with him to Gamboa and back.

Now that I have a $45 number to go with , gives me what is expected to be charged. If he does not work out, I guess we'll be walking away from the Trump and try to get a ride. Don't like the idea of getting soaked just because they assume we have money. Far from their assumption.

Reply to: fishing trip in Gamboa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gamboa
Recent Conversations