We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Puerto Viejo this December and have booked a hotel on Playa Cocles - Lapalapa Beach Front Hotel. Two questions:

1- Is there a local collectivo that picks people up along the road 256 and brings them to Puerto Viejo? Or perhaps, is the distance doable by a bicycle, including in the evening during dinner time? I will not have a car.

2- Is it safe for 2 females to go to Puerto Viejo from Playa Cocles in the evening and then walk/bike/bus back (whichever is the most reasonable option)? Just looking at the map and how fairly secluded our Lapalapa hotel is, I am wondering where we can eat :)

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sasha

5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
12,758 posts
21 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

There is a local bus that runs along the road paralleling the beach but it's last run is about 6 PM I think. You could take it into town and hang out before eating dinner but you'll need a taxi back to your hotel. I would not recommend this walk from town in the dark. There are however a number of places to eat right in Cocles so you don't need to head into town every night.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,178 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
2. Re: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

Local bus schedule: https://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/local-transport-caribbean-coast.php . We found local buses in that area easy to use and certainly inexpensive. But we used them during daytime.

It gets dark early in CR. It is not recommended to be walking, biking after dark, unless you are right in the middle of a town with lots of ppl walking in between restaurants. Taxis can be called for you by the restaurant or by your hotel.

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses! The trip was great and the hostel is fantastic. For those who are interested to know, we rented a bike and it was super easy to go to PV centre (10mins biking?). The distance is far and definitely not walkable. There are limited street lights and indeed, it is too dark. Another option is to catch a local bus.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
18,178 posts
70 reviews
180 helpful votes
4. Re: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

Sasha,

Glad you had a good trip.

Thank you for coming back to post an update.

We found that coast easy without a rental car and also used local buses, when needed. Between tours that include hotels pick up in the same price, bicycle rentals, and taxis or buses, we found it very easy.

Looking forward to your reviews.

(Hope you had been able to sort out the Caribeshuttle concern you posted about earlier.)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,344 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Save

Sasha you are WELCOME

,,,great report...nice that you follow up some great advice like the ones offer by crfan...that is great PRO advice...and mostly first hand...

Please come back to my DEAR country...we love positive people like you guys.

Roadadvisor 100% costa rican indian

Travel ProfeSional

Reply to: Local Transport from Playa Cocles to Puerto Viejo (CR)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cocles
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.